Jul 22, 2011, 6:34 PM EDT
Incredibly enough, Scott Rolen started at third base for the NL All-Star team earlier this month. That may go down as his one good memory from 2011.
Rolen was placed back on the disabled list Friday because of more pain in the left shoulder that’s troubled him for years. Rolen had played in just one game this week, going 1-for-4 against the Pirates on Wednesday. He’s hit .242/.279/.397 with five homers and 36 RBI in 252 at-bats this season.
With Juan Francisco also shelved, the Reds picked Todd Frazier as his replacement. Frazier, 25, was hitting .260/.340/.467 while splitting time between third base, first base and left field for Triple-A Louisville. He had 15 homers and 17 steals, but he had also fanned 82 times in 90 games.
Expect Miguel Cairo to get most of the starts at third base for now. The journeyman utilityman has exceeded expectations once again this year, hitting .288/.353/.410 in 139 at-bats for the Reds.
The Reds probably won’t go looking for a starting third baseman in trade talks, but they would be smart to bring in someone better than Edgar Renteria to help out. Renteria is batting just .232/.306/.278 and the Reds have refused to use him anywhere other than shortstop, where he isn’t an asset any longer anyway.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 280
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 24
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 32
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (294)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)