Jul 22, 2011, 6:34 PM EDT
Incredibly enough, Scott Rolen started at third base for the NL All-Star team earlier this month. That may go down as his one good memory from 2011.
Rolen was placed back on the disabled list Friday because of more pain in the left shoulder that’s troubled him for years. Rolen had played in just one game this week, going 1-for-4 against the Pirates on Wednesday. He’s hit .242/.279/.397 with five homers and 36 RBI in 252 at-bats this season.
With Juan Francisco also shelved, the Reds picked Todd Frazier as his replacement. Frazier, 25, was hitting .260/.340/.467 while splitting time between third base, first base and left field for Triple-A Louisville. He had 15 homers and 17 steals, but he had also fanned 82 times in 90 games.
Expect Miguel Cairo to get most of the starts at third base for now. The journeyman utilityman has exceeded expectations once again this year, hitting .288/.353/.410 in 139 at-bats for the Reds.
The Reds probably won’t go looking for a starting third baseman in trade talks, but they would be smart to bring in someone better than Edgar Renteria to help out. Renteria is batting just .232/.306/.278 and the Reds have refused to use him anywhere other than shortstop, where he isn’t an asset any longer anyway.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)