Jul 22, 2011, 8:54 PM EDT
Louie Sanchez, 29, and Marvin Norwood, 30, were charged with one count each of mayhem, assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury, and battery with serious bodily injury. Charges against a third suspect, 31-year-old Dorene Sanchez, are pending.
“The Los Angeles Police Department never gave up on this case,” District Attorney Steve Cooley said in a prepared statement. “The experienced prosecutors assigned to the case will present the evidence in the courtroom, where ultimate decisions will be made.”
New details of the attack are disturbing. The complaint alleged that both men personally inflicted great bodily injury on Stow, “causing him to become comatose due to brain injury and to suffer paralysis.” The mayhem count mentioned above alleged that they “did cut and disable the tongue, and put out an eye and slit (Stow’s) nose, ear and lip.”
If convicted, Sanchez could get nine years in state prison while Norwood could face an eight-year term. Sanchez was also charged with two misdemeanor counts of battery stemming from a separate incident on the same day as the beating. Sounds like one heckuva guy.
Giovanni Ramirez was arrested in May in connection with the attack, but police Chief Charlie Beck officially announced today that he is no longer a suspect.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)