Jul 22, 2011, 8:54 PM EST
Louie Sanchez, 29, and Marvin Norwood, 30, were charged with one count each of mayhem, assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury, and battery with serious bodily injury. Charges against a third suspect, 31-year-old Dorene Sanchez, are pending.
“The Los Angeles Police Department never gave up on this case,” District Attorney Steve Cooley said in a prepared statement. “The experienced prosecutors assigned to the case will present the evidence in the courtroom, where ultimate decisions will be made.”
New details of the attack are disturbing. The complaint alleged that both men personally inflicted great bodily injury on Stow, “causing him to become comatose due to brain injury and to suffer paralysis.” The mayhem count mentioned above alleged that they “did cut and disable the tongue, and put out an eye and slit (Stow’s) nose, ear and lip.”
If convicted, Sanchez could get nine years in state prison while Norwood could face an eight-year term. Sanchez was also charged with two misdemeanor counts of battery stemming from a separate incident on the same day as the beating. Sounds like one heckuva guy.
Giovanni Ramirez was arrested in May in connection with the attack, but police Chief Charlie Beck officially announced today that he is no longer a suspect.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 27
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40