Jul 23, 2011, 4:41 PM EDT
The Rangers have placed third baseman Adrian Beltre on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring.
Beltre left last night’s game against the Blue Jays after pulling up lame while running the bases in the fifth inning. He was placed on the DL after an MRI today revealed a Grade 1 strain, according to Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com.
Beltre, who signed a five-year, $80 million contract with the Rangers over the winter, is batting .276/.318/.505 with 20 home runs, 76 RBI and an .823 OPS through 421 plate appearances. He had made an appearance in every game this season.
Chris Davis has replaced Beltre on the active roster and will start at third base and bat eighth tonight against the Blue Jays. The 25-year-old was batting .368/.405/.824 with 24 homers and 66 RBI over 193 plate appearances with Triple-A Round Rock. He has a .269/.333/.481 batting line to go along with three home runs and four RBI in 57 plate appearances with the Rangers this season.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 129
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (130)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)