Jul 23, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
According to the Associated Press, Buster Posey underwent a procedure yesterday to remove three screws from his surgically-repaired left ankle.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy said that Posey is still weeks away from trying to put weight on the leg. The 24-year-old backstop is currently pushing himself around in a makeshift scooter that supports his reconstructed ankle.
Posey has been ruled out for the rest of the season, but is expected to be ready for spring training in 2012.
Giants’ catchers (Eli Whiteside, Chris Stewart and Hector Sanchez) have combined to bat just .224 with two homers and 15 RBI since Posey’s home-plate collision with Marlins’ outfielder Scott Cousins on May 25.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)