Jul 23, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
According to the Associated Press, Buster Posey underwent a procedure yesterday to remove three screws from his surgically-repaired left ankle.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy said that Posey is still weeks away from trying to put weight on the leg. The 24-year-old backstop is currently pushing himself around in a makeshift scooter that supports his reconstructed ankle.
Posey has been ruled out for the rest of the season, but is expected to be ready for spring training in 2012.
Giants’ catchers (Eli Whiteside, Chris Stewart and Hector Sanchez) have combined to bat just .224 with two homers and 15 RBI since Posey’s home-plate collision with Marlins’ outfielder Scott Cousins on May 25.
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 22
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)