Jul 23, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
According to the Associated Press, Buster Posey underwent a procedure yesterday to remove three screws from his surgically-repaired left ankle.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy said that Posey is still weeks away from trying to put weight on the leg. The 24-year-old backstop is currently pushing himself around in a makeshift scooter that supports his reconstructed ankle.
Posey has been ruled out for the rest of the season, but is expected to be ready for spring training in 2012.
Giants’ catchers (Eli Whiteside, Chris Stewart and Hector Sanchez) have combined to bat just .224 with two homers and 15 RBI since Posey’s home-plate collision with Marlins’ outfielder Scott Cousins on May 25.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 6
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 24
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 57
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 55
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)