Jul 23, 2011, 10:45 AM EDT
According to the Associated Press, Buster Posey underwent a procedure yesterday to remove three screws from his surgically-repaired left ankle.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy said that Posey is still weeks away from trying to put weight on the leg. The 24-year-old backstop is currently pushing himself around in a makeshift scooter that supports his reconstructed ankle.
Posey has been ruled out for the rest of the season, but is expected to be ready for spring training in 2012.
Giants’ catchers (Eli Whiteside, Chris Stewart and Hector Sanchez) have combined to bat just .224 with two homers and 15 RBI since Posey’s home-plate collision with Marlins’ outfielder Scott Cousins on May 25.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 6
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 54
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 40
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)