Jul 23, 2011, 10:45 AM EST
According to the Associated Press, Buster Posey underwent a procedure yesterday to remove three screws from his surgically-repaired left ankle.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy said that Posey is still weeks away from trying to put weight on the leg. The 24-year-old backstop is currently pushing himself around in a makeshift scooter that supports his reconstructed ankle.
Posey has been ruled out for the rest of the season, but is expected to be ready for spring training in 2012.
Giants’ catchers (Eli Whiteside, Chris Stewart and Hector Sanchez) have combined to bat just .224 with two homers and 15 RBI since Posey’s home-plate collision with Marlins’ outfielder Scott Cousins on May 25.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)