Jul 23, 2011, 10:10 AM EDT
Derek Jeter passed his former teammate Wade Boggs for 25th on the all-time hit list with a two-run single to right field in the second inning last night against the Athletics.
Jeter, who batted second for the second straight game, went 2-for-3 with three RBI, a walk and a run scored in the 17-7 victory. It was just his second multi-hit game since he reached 3,000 hits two weeks ago.
The 37-year-old shortstop is batting .268/.329/.346 with three homers, 28 RBI and a .674 OPS in 356 plate appearances this season.
Jeter now has 3,012 hits for his career. Next up is Rafael Palmeiro, who is 24th all-time with 3,020 hits.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 13
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 43
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17