Jul 23, 2011, 10:10 AM EDT
Derek Jeter passed his former teammate Wade Boggs for 25th on the all-time hit list with a two-run single to right field in the second inning last night against the Athletics.
Jeter, who batted second for the second straight game, went 2-for-3 with three RBI, a walk and a run scored in the 17-7 victory. It was just his second multi-hit game since he reached 3,000 hits two weeks ago.
The 37-year-old shortstop is batting .268/.329/.346 with three homers, 28 RBI and a .674 OPS in 356 plate appearances this season.
Jeter now has 3,012 hits for his career. Next up is Rafael Palmeiro, who is 24th all-time with 3,020 hits.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)