Jul 23, 2011, 8:52 PM EDT
The Rays promoted outfield prospect Desmond Jennings from Triple-A Durham late Friday night and are expected to give him regular starts in the outfield through the end of the 2011 season.
There was speculation when news of Jennings’ callup first surfaced that a trade was already in the works involving B.J. Upton.
Upton remained in a Rays uniform Saturday, but that could change at some point next week.
Ken Rosenthal said on the FOX Saturday Baseball broadcast that the 26-year-old will almost certainly be traded at this year’s July 31 deadline and has already drawn interest from the Indians, who are looking to maintain their lead in the American League Central. The Nationals have also expressed interest in Upton as a longer-term project.
Upton has hit just .232/.312/.400 in 389 plate appearances this season, but he still has great speed and good power potential. Interested teams will hope that he peaks after being given a change of scenery.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)