Jul 23, 2011, 8:52 PM EDT
The Rays promoted outfield prospect Desmond Jennings from Triple-A Durham late Friday night and are expected to give him regular starts in the outfield through the end of the 2011 season.
There was speculation when news of Jennings’ callup first surfaced that a trade was already in the works involving B.J. Upton.
Upton remained in a Rays uniform Saturday, but that could change at some point next week.
Ken Rosenthal said on the FOX Saturday Baseball broadcast that the 26-year-old will almost certainly be traded at this year’s July 31 deadline and has already drawn interest from the Indians, who are looking to maintain their lead in the American League Central. The Nationals have also expressed interest in Upton as a longer-term project.
Upton has hit just .232/.312/.400 in 389 plate appearances this season, but he still has great speed and good power potential. Interested teams will hope that he peaks after being given a change of scenery.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 26
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 117
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)