Jul 23, 2011, 8:52 PM EDT
The Rays promoted outfield prospect Desmond Jennings from Triple-A Durham late Friday night and are expected to give him regular starts in the outfield through the end of the 2011 season.
There was speculation when news of Jennings’ callup first surfaced that a trade was already in the works involving B.J. Upton.
Upton remained in a Rays uniform Saturday, but that could change at some point next week.
Ken Rosenthal said on the FOX Saturday Baseball broadcast that the 26-year-old will almost certainly be traded at this year’s July 31 deadline and has already drawn interest from the Indians, who are looking to maintain their lead in the American League Central. The Nationals have also expressed interest in Upton as a longer-term project.
Upton has hit just .232/.312/.400 in 389 plate appearances this season, but he still has great speed and good power potential. Interested teams will hope that he peaks after being given a change of scenery.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)