Jul 23, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT
UPDATE: According to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun, Luke Scott has confirmed that he is done for the season. He will soon decide whether to rehab the torn labrum in his shoulder or go ahead with surgery.
9:40 AM: We have probably seen the last of Luke Scott this season.
Scott was back in the Orioles’ lineup for the first time since July 3 last night and went 0-for-3 as the designated hitter, but Buck Showalter told Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun following the game that he is likely going back on the disabled list after experiencing more discomfort with his right shoulder.
“I think Luke is headed back to the disabled list,” manager Buck Showalter said. “[During the] first at-bat he had discomfort. I talked to him between at-bats and didn’t particularly like what I was seeing, but he wasn’t giving in. I was hoping, starting out, it was something he would work through, but we said before, it probably wasn’t going to heal until the offseason and we were hoping he could play through it.”
Scott has played through a torn labrum in his right shoulder for most of the season. It should come as no surprise, then, that he’s batting just .220 with nine homers and a .703 OPS. The Orioles haven’t announced anything official yet, but it’s expected he will now either attempt to rehab the injury or undergo season-ending surgery.
Scott, who turned 33 last month, is making $6.4 million this season and is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter. Sounds like an obvious non-tender candidate.