Jul 23, 2011, 10:03 PM EDT
Desmond has batted just .228/.276/.314 with three home runs in 374 plate appearances this season, but the Nationals feel his numbers will get better down the stretch and still consider him to be a major part of their plans for success in the near future.
The 25-year-old hit .269/.308/.392 with 10 homers, 65 RBI and 17 steals over 154 games as a rookie in 2010. He’s making just $442,000 this season and will remain cost-controlled for several years to come.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (248)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)