Jul 23, 2011, 10:03 PM EDT
Desmond has batted just .228/.276/.314 with three home runs in 374 plate appearances this season, but the Nationals feel his numbers will get better down the stretch and still consider him to be a major part of their plans for success in the near future.
The 25-year-old hit .269/.308/.392 with 10 homers, 65 RBI and 17 steals over 154 games as a rookie in 2010. He’s making just $442,000 this season and will remain cost-controlled for several years to come.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)