Jul 23, 2011, 10:03 PM EST
Desmond has batted just .228/.276/.314 with three home runs in 374 plate appearances this season, but the Nationals feel his numbers will get better down the stretch and still consider him to be a major part of their plans for success in the near future.
The 25-year-old hit .269/.308/.392 with 10 homers, 65 RBI and 17 steals over 154 games as a rookie in 2010. He’s making just $442,000 this season and will remain cost-controlled for several years to come.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)