Jul 23, 2011, 8:55 AM EDT
Cruz went a perfect 4-for-4 on the night. He had an RBI double in the bottom of the second inning, slugged a three-run homer in the fourth and collected two-run singles in the fifth and sixth innings.
The eight RBI tied him for second place in club history behind Ivan Rodriguez, who knocked in nine on April 13, 1999. Cruz and Ben Zobrist of the Rays are the only players who have driven in eight runs in a game this season.
Cruz entered Friday’s action batting just .179 (7-for-39) with one RBI (on a solo homer) over his last 11 games. Ah, baseball.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 5
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 29
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 68
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)