Jul 23, 2011, 8:55 AM EDT
Cruz went a perfect 4-for-4 on the night. He had an RBI double in the bottom of the second inning, slugged a three-run homer in the fourth and collected two-run singles in the fifth and sixth innings.
The eight RBI tied him for second place in club history behind Ivan Rodriguez, who knocked in nine on April 13, 1999. Cruz and Ben Zobrist of the Rays are the only players who have driven in eight runs in a game this season.
Cruz entered Friday’s action batting just .179 (7-for-39) with one RBI (on a solo homer) over his last 11 games. Ah, baseball.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)