Jul 23, 2011, 8:55 AM EDT
Cruz went a perfect 4-for-4 on the night. He had an RBI double in the bottom of the second inning, slugged a three-run homer in the fourth and collected two-run singles in the fifth and sixth innings.
The eight RBI tied him for second place in club history behind Ivan Rodriguez, who knocked in nine on April 13, 1999. Cruz and Ben Zobrist of the Rays are the only players who have driven in eight runs in a game this season.
Cruz entered Friday’s action batting just .179 (7-for-39) with one RBI (on a solo homer) over his last 11 games. Ah, baseball.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 20
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 68
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)