Jul 23, 2011, 8:55 AM EDT
Cruz went a perfect 4-for-4 on the night. He had an RBI double in the bottom of the second inning, slugged a three-run homer in the fourth and collected two-run singles in the fifth and sixth innings.
The eight RBI tied him for second place in club history behind Ivan Rodriguez, who knocked in nine on April 13, 1999. Cruz and Ben Zobrist of the Rays are the only players who have driven in eight runs in a game this season.
Cruz entered Friday’s action batting just .179 (7-for-39) with one RBI (on a solo homer) over his last 11 games. Ah, baseball.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 50
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)