Jul 23, 2011, 8:55 AM EDT
Cruz went a perfect 4-for-4 on the night. He had an RBI double in the bottom of the second inning, slugged a three-run homer in the fourth and collected two-run singles in the fifth and sixth innings.
The eight RBI tied him for second place in club history behind Ivan Rodriguez, who knocked in nine on April 13, 1999. Cruz and Ben Zobrist of the Rays are the only players who have driven in eight runs in a game this season.
Cruz entered Friday’s action batting just .179 (7-for-39) with one RBI (on a solo homer) over his last 11 games. Ah, baseball.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)