Report: Rangers “very much in play” for Carlos Beltran

Jul 23, 2011, 12:47 PM EDT

New York Mets v San Francisco Giants Getty Images

It appears the Giants, Braves and Phillies have some company.

Adam Rubin of ESPN.com reports that the Rangers remain “very much in play” in the pursuit of Carlos Beltran. The first-place Rangers have reportedly zeroed in on Beltran and Padres’ closer Heath Bell as their primary trade targets before the deadline.

While the Rangers have a scout in Miami watching Beltran, a source tells Rubin that the Mets have ramped up watching Rangers’ minor leaguers. In fact, Mets scout Bryan Lambe is watching the Rangers’ Class A Hickory club after being redirected.

Some prominent members of the Hickory roster include shortstop Jurickson Profar, outfielder Jake Skole, third baseman Christian Villanueva and right-hander Roman Mendez. Profar was recently ranked as the game’s No. 12 prospect on Baseball America’s midseason list and is highly unlikely to be included in a potential deal for Beltran.

1. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 23, 2011 at 1:07 PM

BREAKING NEWS! : Clarlos Beltrans possible suitors now down to 29 teams.

• Reggie's Bush - Jul 23, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Actually, make that 30 teams.

My slow pitch softball team is in contact with Sandy as well. It’s great that the Mets are willing to eat money because on a banker’s salary I can’t afford him. The only hang up is I think he’ll be our best CF and he wants to stay in RF despite not many opposite field hitters in the league.

I will keep you posted.

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 23, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Sorry. When Heyman mentioned a mystery team, I figured him to be full of it.

• hittfamily - Jul 23, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Maybe he’ll agree to play right center. They’ll want an awful lot of beer in return.

• jimbo1949 - Jul 23, 2011 at 2:06 PM

on a banker’s salary I can’t afford him.
        What, only a $50M bonus this year?

2. proudlycanadian - Jul 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM

This just in …..”The Mets have nibbled on Carlos Beltran and remain very much in play!” Wait fot it! Wait for it!

• ceadderman - Jul 23, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Tough crowd. :D

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 23, 2011 at 7:27 PM

I take no stock in the thumbs up / thumbs down options. I think we should petition Craig to keep the thumbs up (for anyone who wants to simply state that they agree) and rid the thumbs down, therefore forcing anyone who disagrees to sign up, log in, and comment on why they don’t agree. The thumbs down is for lethargic cowards.

• derpdederpdederp - Jul 23, 2011 at 11:04 PM

I disagree because I just gave you a thumbs down and now I’m writing a comment to tell you how useful the thumbs down is……

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 24, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Why bother giving the thumbs down if you are gonna tell me why you disagree? And you justified yourself with the comment, but that doesn’t change anything for the 19 other lazy people. Thanks for the input.

3. macjacmccoy - Jul 25, 2011 at 6:42 AM

Were talking about top 12 prospects for BELTRAN !? The world must be going nuts. I wouldnt include a top 200 prospect for him. Maybe if it was for a year an half and a 1/5 of his salary I would consider adding a guy ranked 100-200 in a package for him. But top 12, top 50, top 100? No way.

Have we learned nothing from Jayson Werth? Just because there’s not a lot of right handed bats out there does not mean you should over pay for the ones that are. If the Guy is a B- level player then sign/trade for him like your getting a B- player.

Three legends off to Cooperstown