Jul 23, 2011, 6:14 PM EDT
UPDATE: Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Cozart was diagnosed with a hyperextended left elbow and that X-rays came back negative. It’s not clear when he’ll be able to return to the lineup, but it sounds like the Reds may have dodged a bullet here.
5:45 PM: Here’s some potentially bad news for the Reds as they attempt to hang around in the National League Central.
According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Reds rookie shortstop Zack Cozart left today’s game against the Braves with an apparent injury to his left arm following an awkward collision with Nate McLouth at second base in the fourth inning. No word on the severity of the injury yet, but Buster Olney of ESPN.com likened the play to how Albert Pujols injured his arm last month.
Cozart, 25, has been a breath of fresh air since supplanting Paul Janish and Edgar Renteria at shortstop earlier this month, batting .324 with two homers, three RBI and an .811 OPS over his first 37 major-league at-bats.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)