Jul 23, 2011, 6:14 PM EST
UPDATE: Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports that Cozart was diagnosed with a hyperextended left elbow and that X-rays came back negative. It’s not clear when he’ll be able to return to the lineup, but it sounds like the Reds may have dodged a bullet here.
5:45 PM: Here’s some potentially bad news for the Reds as they attempt to hang around in the National League Central.
According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Reds rookie shortstop Zack Cozart left today’s game against the Braves with an apparent injury to his left arm following an awkward collision with Nate McLouth at second base in the fourth inning. No word on the severity of the injury yet, but Buster Olney of ESPN.com likened the play to how Albert Pujols injured his arm last month.
Cozart, 25, has been a breath of fresh air since supplanting Paul Janish and Edgar Renteria at shortstop earlier this month, batting .324 with two homers, three RBI and an .811 OPS over his first 37 major-league at-bats.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)