Jul 24, 2011, 1:08 PM EST
It’s been scheduled since last week, he added.
Maddon didn’t know it at the time, but he sparked a million rumors when he removed Upton late in a 10-4 game Friday against the Royals. With Desmond Jennings having been scratched from Triple-A Durham’s lineup, the move appeared to signal a trade involving Upton. Upton, though, stayed put and he was in Saturday’s lineup, going 0-for-4 in a 5-4 loss.
Upton had an excellent first half of July, bue he’s 6-for-40 with no extra-base hits since the All-Star break. The stretch has dropped his OPS from .752 to .706.
Jennings is starting in center field for the Rays today.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)