Jul 24, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
It’s been scheduled since last week, he added.
Maddon didn’t know it at the time, but he sparked a million rumors when he removed Upton late in a 10-4 game Friday against the Royals. With Desmond Jennings having been scratched from Triple-A Durham’s lineup, the move appeared to signal a trade involving Upton. Upton, though, stayed put and he was in Saturday’s lineup, going 0-for-4 in a 5-4 loss.
Upton had an excellent first half of July, bue he’s 6-for-40 with no extra-base hits since the All-Star break. The stretch has dropped his OPS from .752 to .706.
Jennings is starting in center field for the Rays today.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)