Jul 24, 2011, 2:57 PM EST
Guthrie, 32, has posted an underwhelming 4.35 ERA and 1.34 WHIP in 130 1/3 innings this season. But he had a 3.83 ERA and 1.16 WHIP over 200 frames last year and the Cardinals may be thinking that his numbers will improve with a move from the American League East to the National League Central. He would also be shifting from hitter-friendly Camden Yards to pitcher-friendly Busch Stadium.
The Cards are hoping to pick up a reliable starting pitcher at this year’s July 31 trade deadline so that Kyle McClellan can be moved back to his more familiar setup role. Guthrie isn’t the most exciting option, but it’s probably not going to take a top-level prospect to pluck him from the grasp of the 40-57 Orioles.
St. Louis is highly unlikely to include pitching prospects Carlos Martinez, Shelby Miller or Tyrell Jenkins in a trade package this summer. All three made Keith Law’s midseason Top 50 prospect rankings.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (270)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)