Jul 24, 2011, 2:57 PM EDT
Guthrie, 32, has posted an underwhelming 4.35 ERA and 1.34 WHIP in 130 1/3 innings this season. But he had a 3.83 ERA and 1.16 WHIP over 200 frames last year and the Cardinals may be thinking that his numbers will improve with a move from the American League East to the National League Central. He would also be shifting from hitter-friendly Camden Yards to pitcher-friendly Busch Stadium.
The Cards are hoping to pick up a reliable starting pitcher at this year’s July 31 trade deadline so that Kyle McClellan can be moved back to his more familiar setup role. Guthrie isn’t the most exciting option, but it’s probably not going to take a top-level prospect to pluck him from the grasp of the 40-57 Orioles.
St. Louis is highly unlikely to include pitching prospects Carlos Martinez, Shelby Miller or Tyrell Jenkins in a trade package this summer. All three made Keith Law’s midseason Top 50 prospect rankings.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)