Jul 24, 2011, 2:57 PM EDT
Guthrie, 32, has posted an underwhelming 4.35 ERA and 1.34 WHIP in 130 1/3 innings this season. But he had a 3.83 ERA and 1.16 WHIP over 200 frames last year and the Cardinals may be thinking that his numbers will improve with a move from the American League East to the National League Central. He would also be shifting from hitter-friendly Camden Yards to pitcher-friendly Busch Stadium.
The Cards are hoping to pick up a reliable starting pitcher at this year’s July 31 trade deadline so that Kyle McClellan can be moved back to his more familiar setup role. Guthrie isn’t the most exciting option, but it’s probably not going to take a top-level prospect to pluck him from the grasp of the 40-57 Orioles.
St. Louis is highly unlikely to include pitching prospects Carlos Martinez, Shelby Miller or Tyrell Jenkins in a trade package this summer. All three made Keith Law’s midseason Top 50 prospect rankings.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 7
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)