Jul 24, 2011, 2:57 PM EDT
Guthrie, 32, has posted an underwhelming 4.35 ERA and 1.34 WHIP in 130 1/3 innings this season. But he had a 3.83 ERA and 1.16 WHIP over 200 frames last year and the Cardinals may be thinking that his numbers will improve with a move from the American League East to the National League Central. He would also be shifting from hitter-friendly Camden Yards to pitcher-friendly Busch Stadium.
The Cards are hoping to pick up a reliable starting pitcher at this year’s July 31 trade deadline so that Kyle McClellan can be moved back to his more familiar setup role. Guthrie isn’t the most exciting option, but it’s probably not going to take a top-level prospect to pluck him from the grasp of the 40-57 Orioles.
St. Louis is highly unlikely to include pitching prospects Carlos Martinez, Shelby Miller or Tyrell Jenkins in a trade package this summer. All three made Keith Law’s midseason Top 50 prospect rankings.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 77
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 219
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (219)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)