Jul 24, 2011, 12:12 PM EDT
Colby Rasmus might be on the move.
From Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch comes word that the Cardinals’ front office has engaged in “accelerated” trade negotiations this week with White Sox GM Kenny Williams.
No deal is imminent, but Rasmus is the centerpiece and the Cards are believed to have their sights set on White Sox starter Edwin Jackson and lefty reliever Matt Thornton. Some minor league talent might also be exchanged, and a third team could enter the mix in order to complete the potential swap.
Rasmus is batting just .241 with a .730 OPS through 374 plate appearances this season and has at times played hesitant defense in the outfield, but he’s still regarded as one of the top all-around center fielders in the game and probably hasn’t hit his peak at the age of 24. In 2010, the former first-round pick registered a quality .859 OPS with 23 home runs, 66 RBI and 12 stolen bases.
Rasmus has twice requested a trade away from St. Louis and it appears the Cardinals might now grant that wish in order to bolster their pitching staff. The Redbirds enter play Sunday with a slight lead in the NL Central.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 53
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 29
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 8
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)