Jul 24, 2011, 12:12 PM EDT
Colby Rasmus might be on the move.
From Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch comes word that the Cardinals’ front office has engaged in “accelerated” trade negotiations this week with White Sox GM Kenny Williams.
No deal is imminent, but Rasmus is the centerpiece and the Cards are believed to have their sights set on White Sox starter Edwin Jackson and lefty reliever Matt Thornton. Some minor league talent might also be exchanged, and a third team could enter the mix in order to complete the potential swap.
Rasmus is batting just .241 with a .730 OPS through 374 plate appearances this season and has at times played hesitant defense in the outfield, but he’s still regarded as one of the top all-around center fielders in the game and probably hasn’t hit his peak at the age of 24. In 2010, the former first-round pick registered a quality .859 OPS with 23 home runs, 66 RBI and 12 stolen bases.
Rasmus has twice requested a trade away from St. Louis and it appears the Cardinals might now grant that wish in order to bolster their pitching staff. The Redbirds enter play Sunday with a slight lead in the NL Central.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 7
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 30
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 69
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)