Jul 24, 2011, 12:12 PM EDT
Colby Rasmus might be on the move.
From Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch comes word that the Cardinals’ front office has engaged in “accelerated” trade negotiations this week with White Sox GM Kenny Williams.
No deal is imminent, but Rasmus is the centerpiece and the Cards are believed to have their sights set on White Sox starter Edwin Jackson and lefty reliever Matt Thornton. Some minor league talent might also be exchanged, and a third team could enter the mix in order to complete the potential swap.
Rasmus is batting just .241 with a .730 OPS through 374 plate appearances this season and has at times played hesitant defense in the outfield, but he’s still regarded as one of the top all-around center fielders in the game and probably hasn’t hit his peak at the age of 24. In 2010, the former first-round pick registered a quality .859 OPS with 23 home runs, 66 RBI and 12 stolen bases.
Rasmus has twice requested a trade away from St. Louis and it appears the Cardinals might now grant that wish in order to bolster their pitching staff. The Redbirds enter play Sunday with a slight lead in the NL Central.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 0
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 14
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 17
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 58
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 73
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)