Jul 24, 2011, 6:47 PM EDT
It’s been a long time coming, but the Red Sox will place the struggling J.D. Drew on the disabled list Monday due to an impingement in his left shoulder, CSNNE.com’s Sean McAdam reports.
The Red Sox certainly appear to be better off with Josh Reddick in right field anyway, and they’ve been using him there since Carl Crawford came off the disabled list. Reddick went 2-for-5 with an RBI today and is hitting .365 with four homers and 19 RBI in 95 at-bats for Boston.
Drew has similar power numbers. Unfortunately, they’ve comes in 2 1/2 times as much playing time. Drew has hit .219 with four homers and 21 RBI in 233 at-bats.
Believe it or not, it will be Drew’s first DL stint since 2008. He’s managed to stay relatively healthy three straight years, but because he’s had such a difficult season, there has been talk that the Red Sox might release him in advance of him becoming a free agent this winter.
There hasn’t been any word yet on who will replace Drew on the roster, but infielder Drew Sutton is an obvious candidate.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)