Jul 24, 2011, 6:47 PM EDT
It’s been a long time coming, but the Red Sox will place the struggling J.D. Drew on the disabled list Monday due to an impingement in his left shoulder, CSNNE.com’s Sean McAdam reports.
The Red Sox certainly appear to be better off with Josh Reddick in right field anyway, and they’ve been using him there since Carl Crawford came off the disabled list. Reddick went 2-for-5 with an RBI today and is hitting .365 with four homers and 19 RBI in 95 at-bats for Boston.
Drew has similar power numbers. Unfortunately, they’ve comes in 2 1/2 times as much playing time. Drew has hit .219 with four homers and 21 RBI in 233 at-bats.
Believe it or not, it will be Drew’s first DL stint since 2008. He’s managed to stay relatively healthy three straight years, but because he’s had such a difficult season, there has been talk that the Red Sox might release him in advance of him becoming a free agent this winter.
There hasn’t been any word yet on who will replace Drew on the roster, but infielder Drew Sutton is an obvious candidate.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)