Jul 24, 2011, 4:09 PM EDT
Cozart suffered the elbow injury Saturday in an awkward collision at second base with the Braves’ Nate McLouth. It looked like a fracture at first with the way Cozart reacted, but X-rays were negative.
The 25-year-old Cozart was promoted from Triple-A Louisville earlier this month after registering an .825 OPS and seven home runs in 77 minor league games. He posted a productive .324/.324/.486 batting line and two home runs in 38 plate appearances with big-league Cincinnati.
The struggling Reds will turn back to the unproductive shortstop platoon of Janish and Edgar Renteria as they look to remain relevant in the wide-open National League Central.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)