Jul 24, 2011, 4:09 PM EDT
Cozart suffered the elbow injury Saturday in an awkward collision at second base with the Braves’ Nate McLouth. It looked like a fracture at first with the way Cozart reacted, but X-rays were negative.
The 25-year-old Cozart was promoted from Triple-A Louisville earlier this month after registering an .825 OPS and seven home runs in 77 minor league games. He posted a productive .324/.324/.486 batting line and two home runs in 38 plate appearances with big-league Cincinnati.
The struggling Reds will turn back to the unproductive shortstop platoon of Janish and Edgar Renteria as they look to remain relevant in the wide-open National League Central.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)