Jul 24, 2011, 11:53 AM EDT
It turns out that might not be completely correct.
According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, the Nationals have been “actively shopping” the 25-year-old middle infielder and he’s already drawn serious interest from the Giants and Red Sox. Passan also mentions the Rays as a possible fit.
Desmond, a third-round pick back in 2004, has hit just .228/.276/.313 with three homers and 26 RBI in 378 plate appearances this season. He had a .269/.308/.392 slash line, 10 home runs and 65 RBI in 2010.
The Nats are optimistic that Desmond is better than his rate of production, but they have a shortstop on the way in 22-year-old Stephen Lombardozzi, who has registered an .859 OPS, three home runs and 17 RBI in 31 games since his late-June promotion to Triple-A Syracuse.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)