Jul 24, 2011, 11:53 AM EST
It turns out that might not be completely correct.
According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, the Nationals have been “actively shopping” the 25-year-old middle infielder and he’s already drawn serious interest from the Giants and Red Sox. Passan also mentions the Rays as a possible fit.
Desmond, a third-round pick back in 2004, has hit just .228/.276/.313 with three homers and 26 RBI in 378 plate appearances this season. He had a .269/.308/.392 slash line, 10 home runs and 65 RBI in 2010.
The Nats are optimistic that Desmond is better than his rate of production, but they have a shortstop on the way in 22-year-old Stephen Lombardozzi, who has registered an .859 OPS, three home runs and 17 RBI in 31 games since his late-June promotion to Triple-A Syracuse.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)