Jul 24, 2011, 7:57 PM EST
Chance Ruffin, the 48th overall selection in the 2010 MLB draft, will be the second player from last year’s class to make his major league debut after the Tigers call him up Monday.
Detroit announced the move after Sunday’s game. Lester Oliveros will be sent down to make room for Ruffin in the pen.
Ruffin, a University of Texas product, was just promoted to Triple-A Toledo at the end of last month. He had a 2.00 ERA and seven saves in eight appearances there, and he was 3-3 with 17 saves, a 2.09 ERA and a 55/20 K/BB ratio in 43 innings for the season.
Chance is following the same path to the majors as his father, Bruce Ruffin, who was taken in the second round out of the University of Texas in 1985 and reached the majors just a year later. Bruce went on to amass a 4.19 ERA and 63 saves in 12 big-league seasons.
Chance Ruffin joins the White Sox’s Chris Sale as the only 2010 draft products currently in the majors.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 285
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (286)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)