Jul 25, 2011, 10:45 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks agreed to terms with No. 3 overall pick Trevor Bauer earlier today, but it doesn’t sound like the Astros are close to an agreement with their first-round pick.
Confirming a story passed along by Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors earlier this afternoon, Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports that George Springer did indeed meet with the general manager of the independent league Long Island Ducks on Saturday.
Springer’s father, George Springer Jr., attended the meeting and said that they merely met with the Ducks in case an agreement couldn’t be reached with the Astros prior to the August 15 deadline.
“Obviously, whatever discussions are going on with the Astros are going to be kept between us and the Astros, and hopefully we can reach some agreement,” Springer Jr. said. “We have to prepare for all contingencies if that doesn’t happen. I don’t want anybody to read into it more than that.”
Springer, a 21-year-old outfielder, was selected No. 11 overall out of the University of Connecticut in June’s First-Year Player Draft. While talks with the Ducks could very well be a bluff, Springer’s father said that returning to college isn’t a likely option. If the two sides are unable to reach an agreement before the deadline, Springer would re-enter the draft in 2012 and the Astros would receive compensation in the form of a draft pick.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)