Jul 25, 2011, 10:45 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks agreed to terms with No. 3 overall pick Trevor Bauer earlier today, but it doesn’t sound like the Astros are close to an agreement with their first-round pick.
Confirming a story passed along by Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors earlier this afternoon, Brian McTaggart of MLB.com reports that George Springer did indeed meet with the general manager of the independent league Long Island Ducks on Saturday.
Springer’s father, George Springer Jr., attended the meeting and said that they merely met with the Ducks in case an agreement couldn’t be reached with the Astros prior to the August 15 deadline.
“Obviously, whatever discussions are going on with the Astros are going to be kept between us and the Astros, and hopefully we can reach some agreement,” Springer Jr. said. “We have to prepare for all contingencies if that doesn’t happen. I don’t want anybody to read into it more than that.”
Springer, a 21-year-old outfielder, was selected No. 11 overall out of the University of Connecticut in June’s First-Year Player Draft. While talks with the Ducks could very well be a bluff, Springer’s father said that returning to college isn’t a likely option. If the two sides are unable to reach an agreement before the deadline, Springer would re-enter the draft in 2012 and the Astros would receive compensation in the form of a draft pick.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 33
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)