Jul 25, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Kosuke Fukudome‘s four-year, $48 million contract comes to an end in 60 games, but it sounds like the disappointing outfielder may not be in Chicago when that happens.
Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that “at least four teams are zeroing in on” Fukudome as a trade target and presumably even Cubs general manager Jim Hendry can see clearly enough through his rose-colored glasses to get whatever value he can out of him.
Chicago hasn’t gotten what it paid for in Fukudome, whose post-April fades, inability to hit left-handed pitching, and lack of power combined to make him much less of an impact player than expected, but as a platoon corner outfielder he’s still plenty useful and has posted a .369 on-base percentage in 511 games.
Levine speculates that the Indians are one of the teams interested in Fukudome, whose contract gives him the ability to block a trade to six undisclosed teams. Assuming the Cubs are willing to pay most of the $4 million or so he’s still owed in order to get even a mid-level prospect, Fukudome is a smart target for contenders looking to add a solid bat versus right-handed pitching without giving up a ton.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)