Brad Lidge perfect in 2011 debut

Jul 25, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT

Brad Lidge Getty Images

Working the top of the seventh with the Phillies down by a run to the Padres, Brad Lidge pitched a perfect inning Monday in his season debut.

Lidge, who went down in the spring with a sore shoulder and later dealt with elbow problems as well, threw 11 pitches, nine of them sliders.  His first fastball came in at 89 mph.  The second was a 90 mph pitch that nearly hit Jesus Guzman in the head.

Other than that, it was all sliders.  His first five were mediocre at best, but he got better from there, particularly with the two that proved to be strike two and strike three to Kyle Blanks.  His other two outs came on grounders.

All in all, it was a positive debut.  Still, the circumstances were very favorable, as the one left-handed hitter he faced, Will Venable, had three homers in 221 at-bats for the season.  Hitters no longer have to be afraid of Lidge’s fastball, and good left-handers should be able to wait him out until getting a hanging slider or a walk.

1. halladaysbiceps - Jul 25, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Yeah, Matt, I have to agree with your assessment. He wasn’t particulary sharp with his velocity, but got the job done with his sliders. I still think this guy will get lit up at some point and won’t be a viable option for the Phils come postseason.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 25, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I disagree….he looked just as he did the second half of last year when he was extremely effective.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 25, 2011 at 3:37 PM

No, his first 5 sliders were fine. They were his get me over slider…he throws the hard slider as a strikeout pitch. He started doing that in the second half of last season once he realized that his fastball wasn’t there anymore. I expect him to continue doing that while spotting his fastball.

3. Jonny 5 - Jul 25, 2011 at 3:40 PM

I was afraid that without his mole he would be rendered useless.

4. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 25, 2011 at 3:43 PM

The bottom of the 8th was ridiculous. I didn’t realize that you can throw a pitch 6 inches off the plate for a strike….consistently.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 25, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Yeah, but without an effective fastball, his slider is neutered. Good teams will pick this up, not bite on the slider, and kill his fastball.

• bleedgreen - Jul 25, 2011 at 4:35 PM

I don’t think he’s talking about Lidge. He said bottom of the 8th. Phils batting. He got Utley and Howard on 3 pitches a piece looking.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 25, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I was talking about the Adams innings….on Lidge: as long as he can spot the fastball he will be fine. Lidge looked exactly like he did the second half of last season when he had an 2.10 ERA. As long as he can command the get me over slider and get ahead in the count he will be fine.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey