Jul 25, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
Blum, who missed the entire first half following knee surgery and has played just seven games all season, suffered a fractured right pinkie finger yesterday and is expected to be sidelined for at least a few weeks.
He initially tried to remain in the game after the injury, which came while fielding a ground ball, but couldn’t grip the bat and had “shooting pain” when he tried to throw an inning later.
Arizona’s decision to hand Blum a two-year, $2.7 million contract in November looked odd because he’s a 38-year-old career-long role player with a sub-.700 OPS, but now because of the injuries they haven’t even gotten the mediocre utility man they overpaid for.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)