Jul 25, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
Blum, who missed the entire first half following knee surgery and has played just seven games all season, suffered a fractured right pinkie finger yesterday and is expected to be sidelined for at least a few weeks.
He initially tried to remain in the game after the injury, which came while fielding a ground ball, but couldn’t grip the bat and had “shooting pain” when he tried to throw an inning later.
Arizona’s decision to hand Blum a two-year, $2.7 million contract in November looked odd because he’s a 38-year-old career-long role player with a sub-.700 OPS, but now because of the injuries they haven’t even gotten the mediocre utility man they overpaid for.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)