Jul 25, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
Blum, who missed the entire first half following knee surgery and has played just seven games all season, suffered a fractured right pinkie finger yesterday and is expected to be sidelined for at least a few weeks.
He initially tried to remain in the game after the injury, which came while fielding a ground ball, but couldn’t grip the bat and had “shooting pain” when he tried to throw an inning later.
Arizona’s decision to hand Blum a two-year, $2.7 million contract in November looked odd because he’s a 38-year-old career-long role player with a sub-.700 OPS, but now because of the injuries they haven’t even gotten the mediocre utility man they overpaid for.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 30
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 54
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)