Jul 25, 2011, 9:18 PM EDT
We probably would have heard left-hander Erik Bedard mentioned in trade rumors this month, but the Mariners have had zero opportunity to showcase him due to a month-long absence with a knee injury.
It may be “too little, too late” to get something done before July 31, but Ryan Divish of the Tacoma News Tribune reports that Bedard will rejoin the Mariners’ starting rotation Friday night against the Rays. He was cleared to return after throwing 40 pitches in a simulated game Saturday.
While contenders will get a look at the veteran left-hander on Friday, Mariners manager Eric Wedge confirmed that Bedard will be on a pitch count.
“I’m not going to give you a pitch count, but we’ll have to pull him back a little bit,” Wedge said. “But he will be okay though.”
Bedard didn’t throw a pitch in the majors in 2010 due to shoulder problems, but has a 3.00 ERA and 85/26 K/BB ratio over 90 innings across 15 starts this season. It’s unlikely that he’ll be dealt with such a short turnaround before Sunday’s deadline, but he could a consideration in August if he continues to pitch well, and more importantly, remains healthy.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 10
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 115
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)