Jul 25, 2011, 9:18 PM EDT
We probably would have heard left-hander Erik Bedard mentioned in trade rumors this month, but the Mariners have had zero opportunity to showcase him due to a month-long absence with a knee injury.
It may be “too little, too late” to get something done before July 31, but Ryan Divish of the Tacoma News Tribune reports that Bedard will rejoin the Mariners’ starting rotation Friday night against the Rays. He was cleared to return after throwing 40 pitches in a simulated game Saturday.
While contenders will get a look at the veteran left-hander on Friday, Mariners manager Eric Wedge confirmed that Bedard will be on a pitch count.
“I’m not going to give you a pitch count, but we’ll have to pull him back a little bit,” Wedge said. “But he will be okay though.”
Bedard didn’t throw a pitch in the majors in 2010 due to shoulder problems, but has a 3.00 ERA and 85/26 K/BB ratio over 90 innings across 15 starts this season. It’s unlikely that he’ll be dealt with such a short turnaround before Sunday’s deadline, but he could a consideration in August if he continues to pitch well, and more importantly, remains healthy.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)