Four teams are considering Wily Mo Pena

Jul 25, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT

wily mo pena head getty AP

Jon Heyman reports that four teams — the Giants, Brewers, Athletics and Mariners — have some degree of interest in the recently-released Wily Mo Pena.

I can see the Athletics and Mariners making more sense. They’re desperate for offense and have a DH slot for him. Or, if either of them think that they have to play both Pena and either Jack Cust or Hideki Matsui at the same time, they can stick him in left or at first base without worrying about messing up their playoff chances.

But NL contenders?  Eeek.  I mean, I love Wily Mo. You love Wily Mo. We all love Wily Mo, but if you had something to actually lose, like both the Giants and the Brewers do, I don’t think you’d want him patrolling the field in any capacity.  Especially considering that the benefit he gives you — power, but with tons of strikeouts and not much else — isn’t so fabulous that it’s worth the risk.

1. proudlycanadian - Jul 25, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Obviously the Mariners need him. Thus, I doubt that they will try very hard to sign him. Why didn’t they claim him on waivers?

2. parlorboss - Jul 25, 2011 at 6:38 PM

I think he’s purely a pinch-hitter (like Matt Stairs) for the NL teams. Might also make sense for Pittsburgh.

3. snprime - Jul 25, 2011 at 7:06 PM

He does have that delicious “veteran-yness” that Sabean loves so much. At a point in the season when the Giants seem to be clicking, this idea scares more more than nuclear war and carnies. And I hate carnies.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 25, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Kinda worked out for them last year, didn’t it?

4. patsandsox - Jul 25, 2011 at 8:39 PM

I saw him with the Red Sox believe me you do not want him. He is the big tease. Once a in a while a big tape measure homer, the rest of the time strike outs and pathetic fielding. Be very very scared of him.

5. Old Gator - Jul 25, 2011 at 9:25 PM

I think he ought to say “fuck you Jobu, I do it myself” once in a while.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3883)