Jul 25, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that four teams — the Giants, Brewers, Athletics and Mariners — have some degree of interest in the recently-released Wily Mo Pena.
I can see the Athletics and Mariners making more sense. They’re desperate for offense and have a DH slot for him. Or, if either of them think that they have to play both Pena and either Jack Cust or Hideki Matsui at the same time, they can stick him in left or at first base without worrying about messing up their playoff chances.
But NL contenders? Eeek. I mean, I love Wily Mo. You love Wily Mo. We all love Wily Mo, but if you had something to actually lose, like both the Giants and the Brewers do, I don’t think you’d want him patrolling the field in any capacity. Especially considering that the benefit he gives you — power, but with tons of strikeouts and not much else — isn’t so fabulous that it’s worth the risk.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (85)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (79)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (74)