Jul 25, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that four teams — the Giants, Brewers, Athletics and Mariners — have some degree of interest in the recently-released Wily Mo Pena.
I can see the Athletics and Mariners making more sense. They’re desperate for offense and have a DH slot for him. Or, if either of them think that they have to play both Pena and either Jack Cust or Hideki Matsui at the same time, they can stick him in left or at first base without worrying about messing up their playoff chances.
But NL contenders? Eeek. I mean, I love Wily Mo. You love Wily Mo. We all love Wily Mo, but if you had something to actually lose, like both the Giants and the Brewers do, I don’t think you’d want him patrolling the field in any capacity. Especially considering that the benefit he gives you — power, but with tons of strikeouts and not much else — isn’t so fabulous that it’s worth the risk.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 23
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 41
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)