Jul 25, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that four teams — the Giants, Brewers, Athletics and Mariners — have some degree of interest in the recently-released Wily Mo Pena.
I can see the Athletics and Mariners making more sense. They’re desperate for offense and have a DH slot for him. Or, if either of them think that they have to play both Pena and either Jack Cust or Hideki Matsui at the same time, they can stick him in left or at first base without worrying about messing up their playoff chances.
But NL contenders? Eeek. I mean, I love Wily Mo. You love Wily Mo. We all love Wily Mo, but if you had something to actually lose, like both the Giants and the Brewers do, I don’t think you’d want him patrolling the field in any capacity. Especially considering that the benefit he gives you — power, but with tons of strikeouts and not much else — isn’t so fabulous that it’s worth the risk.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 153
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (159)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)