Jul 25, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that four teams — the Giants, Brewers, Athletics and Mariners — have some degree of interest in the recently-released Wily Mo Pena.
I can see the Athletics and Mariners making more sense. They’re desperate for offense and have a DH slot for him. Or, if either of them think that they have to play both Pena and either Jack Cust or Hideki Matsui at the same time, they can stick him in left or at first base without worrying about messing up their playoff chances.
But NL contenders? Eeek. I mean, I love Wily Mo. You love Wily Mo. We all love Wily Mo, but if you had something to actually lose, like both the Giants and the Brewers do, I don’t think you’d want him patrolling the field in any capacity. Especially considering that the benefit he gives you — power, but with tons of strikeouts and not much else — isn’t so fabulous that it’s worth the risk.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 3
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)