Jul 25, 2011, 2:00 PM EST
Kevin Kernan at the New York Post passes along word that the Hall of Fame is considering cutting the waiting period for induction from the current five years after retirement to three years. It’s not a done deal or even a deal in progress. If it were, it would be in press release form as opposed to said in passing in a Kernan column, but it’s pretty neat to think about anyway.
The assessment-train moves a lot faster than it used to. We start arguing about whether someone is Hall of Fame worthy as soon as they retire now, so five years seems kind of long. Heck, we start talking about it before they retire. Anyone over 35 who goes on the disabled list tends to get the “if their career is over now, are they a Hall of Famer?” treatment.
I can’t really see a downside to this. It’s not like two extra years are going to change our opinion of Derek Jeter or anyone to whom the new waiting period — if enacted — would apply. And besides, if the Hall realizes that it can change stuff without the walls crumbling down, perhaps they’ll start changing some things that actually matter.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)