Jul 25, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
Kevin Kernan at the New York Post passes along word that the Hall of Fame is considering cutting the waiting period for induction from the current five years after retirement to three years. It’s not a done deal or even a deal in progress. If it were, it would be in press release form as opposed to said in passing in a Kernan column, but it’s pretty neat to think about anyway.
The assessment-train moves a lot faster than it used to. We start arguing about whether someone is Hall of Fame worthy as soon as they retire now, so five years seems kind of long. Heck, we start talking about it before they retire. Anyone over 35 who goes on the disabled list tends to get the “if their career is over now, are they a Hall of Famer?” treatment.
I can’t really see a downside to this. It’s not like two extra years are going to change our opinion of Derek Jeter or anyone to whom the new waiting period — if enacted — would apply. And besides, if the Hall realizes that it can change stuff without the walls crumbling down, perhaps they’ll start changing some things that actually matter.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 13
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 17
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 9
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 59
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)