HBT Weekend Wrap

Jul 25, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT

Shop Vac

My weekend was rather hit-and-miss. On the one hand, I saw a couple of movies I liked in “Captain America” and “Super 8.”  On the other hand, I woke up Sunday morning to find that the combination of torrential rains and a power outage meant that my sump pump was out of commission when I needed it the most, leading to a flooded basement.

A blogger’s basement. Flooded. It’s almost like I’m homeless now.

But I suppose that between my wet/dry vacuum, my dehumidifier and my God-given resourcefulness, I’ll figure out how to deal.  And besides, some people have bigger problems than me.  Some of them are even mentioned in our top stories over the weekend:

Oh, and thanks to the flooded basement, there’s a decent chance that we won’t be doing HBT Daily for a day or two. On a related note: anyone who knows how to get water out of a circuit board for a digital video camera, please leave your email address in the comments. Thanks.

1. yankeesfanlen - Jul 25, 2011 at 8:34 AM

You can’t have anything nice around your place, can you? Put the camera in the dryer, low setting. Dryer won’t work either, I suppose Mister!

• craggt - Jul 25, 2011 at 8:43 AM

Take out the batteries, open up the camera and cover the entire thing in rice. Then just wait for a few days.
      See here

As long as you never turn in on while there’s still water on it you should be fine.
      craggt@gmail.com

2. hittfamily - Jul 25, 2011 at 8:44 AM

And yet your basement is still in better shape than that dump Wrigly Field.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 25, 2011 at 8:45 AM

My basement flooded a little bit about 3 weeks ago. The smell will never go away. No matter how many fans and no matter how much wet/dry vacuuming you do…the smell will remain. Forever. No amount of Fabreeze will help.

Unless you re-carpet the whole damn basement, which I am very close to doing.

• hittfamily - Jul 25, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Put some Flaxseed Oil on it. That stuff works miracles. But not too much though, or your carpet’s hat won’t fit.

4. Jonny 5 - Jul 25, 2011 at 8:48 AM

“Unlike some folks,Roy Oswalt wants to go to rehab.”

You are a bad man. A bad man indeed.

• Old Gator - Jul 25, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Are we far enough down the road yet for some Amy Winehouse jokes, or would that risk placing someone in cup0pizzaland?

• Utley's Hair - Jul 25, 2011 at 10:55 AM

At least we don’t have to hear purdueman’s take on the Norway massacre.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 25, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Actually, She was on borrowed time anyway by looking at her so we can go retroactive back two years I think. You know back to when she started looking like she was already gone.

• Old Gator - Jul 25, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Not much you can do about someone who wants to destroy themselves that badly. Much less talented people ruin themselves daily, which is enough of a pity – but when someone that talented throws all her gifts away like that, even if you’re contemptuous of her cowardice and her lack of will, you have to sense the sheer waste of it all.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 25, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Be careful or hittfamily will accuse you of hijacking the thread.

• Old Gator - Jul 25, 2011 at 11:29 AM

That’s OK. He’ll feel better about it when I order the thread to fly me to Cuba and he sees how much fuel I’ve saved the blog. Down here, that’s just a couple of blocks away.

• hittfamily - Jul 25, 2011 at 12:18 PM

I was wondering how long it would take you to bring me up. I tried to post baseball scores on the TMZ website, and got a similiar reaction.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 25, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Don’t go around telling people what they should and shouldn’t post. You were being a message board bully.

5. phukyouk - Jul 25, 2011 at 9:08 AM

“•Unlike some folks, Roy Oswalt wants to go to rehab. (too soon?)”

i am of the belief that its never ever too soon. and that was pure gold. and i will be paraphrasing that as a Facebook status update.

in reagrds to your camera have you tried the rice trick? take a bown of uncooked white rice and let the board sit in there for a day or two. it has worked for many a cell phone for me.

6. rmcd13 - Jul 25, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Is that a shop-vac?

7. sportsdrenched - Jul 25, 2011 at 10:52 AM

What is this rain you speak of?

8. Utley's Hair - Jul 25, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Your basement flooded? Is Tiffany okay?

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3282)