Lance Berkman sidelined with slight strain of right rotator cuff

Jul 25, 2011, 8:22 PM EST

St. Louis Cardinals v Cincinnati Reds Getty Images

The Cardinals are without one of their most important bats tonight as they continue to duke it out in the ultra-competitive National League Central.

B.J. Rains of FOX Sports Midwest reports that Lance Berkman will sit out tonight’s series opener against the Astros after he suffered a slight strain of his right rotator cuff on his final swing during Sunday’s game against the Pirates.

“Just when I took that last swing,” Berkman said. “Clearly there was something funny because the ball went one way and the shortstop ran up the middle. It was just strange.

“It hurt me when I got to first. Right when I did it, I didn’t feel anything that I can remember. It happened so fast, but I got down to first base and I was like, ‘My goodness’. It just didn’t feel good.”

While Berkman’s absence tonight ends a streak of 40 consecutive games played dating back to June 7, the good news is that he doesn’t anticipate missing more than “a day or two.”

Berkman, who signed a one-year, $8 million contract over the winter, is batting .288/.400/.599 with a .999 OPS in 365 plate appearances this season. He leads the National League with 27 home runs and ranks fourth with 69 RBI.

1. Old Gator - Jul 25, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Whew. For a minute there, DJ, I thought you were going to write “a slight strain of the oblique.” I’m about as sick of hearing about oblique injuries as I am of softcore erotic vampire shows.

• D.J. Short - Jul 25, 2011 at 9:41 PM

Agreed. Good to switch it up every once in a while.

• FC - Jul 25, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Agreed. I prefer the hardcore ones. The one with Alyssa Milano a number of years back was great. Then again I was teenager back then so…

2. bigleagues - Jul 25, 2011 at 9:54 PM

The cheers that you hear are fantasy league rivals.

The jeers that you hear are fantasy league owners who just acquired Berkman.

And I vote for “bone contusion” for ‘best new injury’.

3. gallaghedj311 - Jul 25, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Glad I just traded him for king Felix

4. yankeesfanlen - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:31 AM

“My Goodness” almost as much emphasis as “My stars and Garters”. Thanks for your contribution to the Cards, as I remember you were compensated for your Yankee year I’ll put it down as a mis-match.

5. foreverchipper10 - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I like Lance a lot.

• spudchukar - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Sorry, I have already worn out that out.

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 26, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Blast!

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. G. Stanton (5053)