Jul 25, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Or, more accurately, Wang’s rehab stint will reach the 30-day maximum Wednesday and unless a new injury is found the Nationals have to either activate him or release him. They’re choosing the former and Wang, who last started a major-league game in July of 2009, will make his long-awaited return Friday against the Mets.
Last season the Nationals got nothing out of a $2 million investment in Wang and this year he re-signed for $1 million in guaranteed money and another $4 million in potential incentives, so it’s no surprise that they want to at least get him to the majors and give him a chance to earn some of that money.
In six total rehab starts Wang had a 3.14 ERA and 17/4 K/BB ratio in 29 innings, so despite the rough outing yesterday there were some signs that he’s at least healthy and pitching well enough to handle minor-league hitters. In his last action before being shut down with shoulder problems in 2009 he had a 9.64 ERA in 42 innings for the Yankees, so the 31-year-old Wang hasn’t been effective since 2008.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)