Jul 25, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Amanda Comak of the Washington Times reports that Twins center fielder Denard Span “is high on the Nationals’ list of targets” and Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com adds further that the two sides “have talked.”
Minnesota is deep in outfielders throughout the organization and have Ben Revere as a potential replacement in center field, but he’s struggled filling in recently and the whole situation is complicated by the fact that Span has missed the past two months with a concussion.
Span is expected to rejoin the lineup soon, but may be on the disabled list past Sunday’s trade deadline. That doesn’t rule out Span being traded by July 31, however, and Rosenthal notes that Ian Desmond and Tyler Clippard could address the Twins’ need for both a shortstop and late-inning relief help.
However, he also writes that the Nationals are “reluctant” to include Clippard and presumably the Twins won’t accept a package built around Desmond (I say presumably because last year at this time they traded Wilson Ramos for Matt Capps, so no terrible move is out of the question when Bill Smith starts talking to Mike Rizzo).
Prior to the concussion Span was the Twins’ most valuable player, hitting .294 with a .361 on-base percentage and very good defense in center field. He’s also signed for reasonable salaries through 2015, so the Nationals’ interest makes plenty of sense. As a Twins fan I’m hoping they’re only willing to deal Span for big-time value and not just looking to swap him for the best return they can.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)