Jul 25, 2011, 3:15 PM EST
Amanda Comak of the Washington Times reports that Twins center fielder Denard Span “is high on the Nationals’ list of targets” and Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com adds further that the two sides “have talked.”
Minnesota is deep in outfielders throughout the organization and have Ben Revere as a potential replacement in center field, but he’s struggled filling in recently and the whole situation is complicated by the fact that Span has missed the past two months with a concussion.
Span is expected to rejoin the lineup soon, but may be on the disabled list past Sunday’s trade deadline. That doesn’t rule out Span being traded by July 31, however, and Rosenthal notes that Ian Desmond and Tyler Clippard could address the Twins’ need for both a shortstop and late-inning relief help.
However, he also writes that the Nationals are “reluctant” to include Clippard and presumably the Twins won’t accept a package built around Desmond (I say presumably because last year at this time they traded Wilson Ramos for Matt Capps, so no terrible move is out of the question when Bill Smith starts talking to Mike Rizzo).
Prior to the concussion Span was the Twins’ most valuable player, hitting .294 with a .361 on-base percentage and very good defense in center field. He’s also signed for reasonable salaries through 2015, so the Nationals’ interest makes plenty of sense. As a Twins fan I’m hoping they’re only willing to deal Span for big-time value and not just looking to swap him for the best return they can.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 34
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)