Jul 25, 2011, 3:15 PM EST
Amanda Comak of the Washington Times reports that Twins center fielder Denard Span “is high on the Nationals’ list of targets” and Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com adds further that the two sides “have talked.”
Minnesota is deep in outfielders throughout the organization and have Ben Revere as a potential replacement in center field, but he’s struggled filling in recently and the whole situation is complicated by the fact that Span has missed the past two months with a concussion.
Span is expected to rejoin the lineup soon, but may be on the disabled list past Sunday’s trade deadline. That doesn’t rule out Span being traded by July 31, however, and Rosenthal notes that Ian Desmond and Tyler Clippard could address the Twins’ need for both a shortstop and late-inning relief help.
However, he also writes that the Nationals are “reluctant” to include Clippard and presumably the Twins won’t accept a package built around Desmond (I say presumably because last year at this time they traded Wilson Ramos for Matt Capps, so no terrible move is out of the question when Bill Smith starts talking to Mike Rizzo).
Prior to the concussion Span was the Twins’ most valuable player, hitting .294 with a .361 on-base percentage and very good defense in center field. He’s also signed for reasonable salaries through 2015, so the Nationals’ interest makes plenty of sense. As a Twins fan I’m hoping they’re only willing to deal Span for big-time value and not just looking to swap him for the best return they can.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)