Jul 25, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Amanda Comak of the Washington Times reports that Twins center fielder Denard Span “is high on the Nationals’ list of targets” and Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com adds further that the two sides “have talked.”
Minnesota is deep in outfielders throughout the organization and have Ben Revere as a potential replacement in center field, but he’s struggled filling in recently and the whole situation is complicated by the fact that Span has missed the past two months with a concussion.
Span is expected to rejoin the lineup soon, but may be on the disabled list past Sunday’s trade deadline. That doesn’t rule out Span being traded by July 31, however, and Rosenthal notes that Ian Desmond and Tyler Clippard could address the Twins’ need for both a shortstop and late-inning relief help.
However, he also writes that the Nationals are “reluctant” to include Clippard and presumably the Twins won’t accept a package built around Desmond (I say presumably because last year at this time they traded Wilson Ramos for Matt Capps, so no terrible move is out of the question when Bill Smith starts talking to Mike Rizzo).
Prior to the concussion Span was the Twins’ most valuable player, hitting .294 with a .361 on-base percentage and very good defense in center field. He’s also signed for reasonable salaries through 2015, so the Nationals’ interest makes plenty of sense. As a Twins fan I’m hoping they’re only willing to deal Span for big-time value and not just looking to swap him for the best return they can.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)