Jul 25, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT
Placed on the disabled list in mid-May with a quadriceps injury and then demoted to Triple-A once healthy last month, Pedro Alvarez is back in the majors thanks to the Pirates putting outfielder Alex Presley on the DL.
Just last week manager Clint Hurdle indicated that recalling Alvarez wasn’t in the team’s immediate plans and clubhouse attendants clearing out his locker a few days ago seemingly cemented that status, but Presley’s thumb injury changed things apparently.
Alvarez has played well since the demotion, hitting .365 with three homers and a 1.048 OPS in 18 games, and his 18/12 K/BB ratio is a big improvement over both his 161/49 K/BB ratio in the majors and previous marks in the minors.
He hit just .208 with two homers and a .587 OPS in 36 games for the Pirates before the injury and Alvarez may have to impress right away in order to remain in Pittsburgh down the stretch, because Presley’s bruised thumb isn’t expected to sideline him for very long.
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 47
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)