Jul 25, 2011, 2:19 PM EDT
Placed on the disabled list in mid-May with a quadriceps injury and then demoted to Triple-A once healthy last month, Pedro Alvarez is back in the majors thanks to the Pirates putting outfielder Alex Presley on the DL.
Just last week manager Clint Hurdle indicated that recalling Alvarez wasn’t in the team’s immediate plans and clubhouse attendants clearing out his locker a few days ago seemingly cemented that status, but Presley’s thumb injury changed things apparently.
Alvarez has played well since the demotion, hitting .365 with three homers and a 1.048 OPS in 18 games, and his 18/12 K/BB ratio is a big improvement over both his 161/49 K/BB ratio in the majors and previous marks in the minors.
He hit just .208 with two homers and a .587 OPS in 36 games for the Pirates before the injury and Alvarez may have to impress right away in order to remain in Pittsburgh down the stretch, because Presley’s bruised thumb isn’t expected to sideline him for very long.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (148)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)