Phillies, Rays reportedly talking about B.J. Upton

Jul 25, 2011, 1:30 PM EST

B.J. Upton AP

After a couple of weekend reports about B.J. Upton, we hear today that the Phillies are talking to the Rays about inquiring the lesser of the Upton brothers. That’s from Jen Royle, who says that the Nats are still interested as well.

Upton is having a pretty terrible year so far,  hitting .229/.310/.395, but he plays good defense and, as has been said so many time, has the potential to be so much better than he is.  He certainly wouldn’t be a difference-maker like Carlos Beltran, but given how comfy the Phillies’ lead is at the moment, their biggest need isn’t a difference-maker as much as it is felxibility and freshness in the second half and all of that.

And hey, if Upton explodes for a month or two like he’s capable of doing, all the better.

1. halladaysbiceps - Jul 25, 2011 at 1:32 PM

I do not want him here. Clubhouse problem. Reports on him are that he is a lazy player, both at the plate and in the field. No thanks, Tampa.

• hittfamily - Jul 25, 2011 at 1:39 PM

I have seen this argument before. I have never heard of him being anything but a good team mate. Longo yelled at him in the dugout last year for not hustling, but it was over the next day. A clubhouse cancer wouldn’t have handled it how he did.

• Corey Hedberg - Jul 25, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Why should another teammate have to yell at him for not hustling? This guy is terrible. He has more strikeouts than hits. Not acceptable.

• bdawk20 - Jul 25, 2011 at 4:52 PM

He’s also known for littering. Littering and…………………..

• hittfamily - Jul 25, 2011 at 4:59 PM

jaywalking

2. hittfamily - Jul 25, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Dom Brown. Straight up. Deal!!!!!

• Jonny 5 - Jul 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Dude. No.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 25, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Nah, I would do Brown for Pence, but not for Upton. Least Pence has shown he is the real deal.

• seanmk - Jul 25, 2011 at 2:22 PM

how has pence shown he’s the “real deal”? I’d take the upside of upton everyday of the week including sunday over pence. pence this year has an above .300 avg because his hits are falling at a rate not normal for him. babip the previous 3 years .301 .308 .304, this year .369. one of these things is not like the other.

upton plays centerfield, not a corner and he plays it very well. despite the low batting average he still gets on base and is a game changer on the base paths. plus there is the possiblity that charlie changes something in his swing which has a lot of hitches in it(maybe something like changing granderson’s. not sure i’d ever expect him to hit for higher then a .265, but if he gets on base at .350, that’s managable.

as far as what to give up to get him though, i wouldn’t give up dom brown for him.

• evanwins - Jul 25, 2011 at 4:32 PM

@seanmk
        Wow his batting avg on balls in play is going up from .301 and you’re complaining about getting him? That doesn’t make a lot of sense. Sounds like he’s developing as a player… and no one wants someone like that, right?

And how he’s shown that he’s the real deal is by competing (and succeeding) as an everyday player in the Majors. He was even an All Star this year. He’s a complete 5 tool player. I’d give up a lot for him.

As far as Upton goes, I like him too. And I agree he’d be cheaper. Either him or Pence would be an upgrade from what we have.

I even like Reed Johnson to platoon.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 25, 2011 at 1:41 PM

BAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! Thanks. I needed that.

• hittfamily - Jul 25, 2011 at 2:05 PM

I’m a Rays fan. That was about the reaction I expected. Obscenities were more along the line of what i was expecting.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 25, 2011 at 2:37 PM

I’m glad I could oblige. But I tend to reserve obscenities for outright trolling (and the sub-bridge dwellers responsible) and idiotic threads that don’t make me laugh—and even then I usually censor myself.

• dcbassguy - Jul 25, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Are you out of your mind? You must be a Rays fan.

3. dailyrev - Jul 25, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Watching the Phillies game now, and I’ve got a look-alike that is sure to brighten everyone’s day: Padres starting P Harang and Lurch of the Addams Family. Dead ringer.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 25, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Looks like it’s Cliff Lee’s turn to get roughed up. Seems once every couple months, one of the Aces provides the opposition some runs. Hopefully, the offense can pick him up.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 25, 2011 at 1:47 PM

I’m watching the game now, Chris. Cliff is not looking good at all. He’s having a once in a while bad outing where he’s hanging his pitches. All up in the zone. It looks like it’s about to rain big time.

5. jehzsa - Jul 25, 2011 at 1:52 PM

There is a reason why we call him Mr. HeartandHustle here in Tampa.

He’d make a lovely addition to any team. And bobblehead night is sure to be a hit.

Sorry and sad to see him go, but we’ll get over it.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 25, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Sarcasm?

6. basiltharat - Jul 25, 2011 at 1:54 PM

I wouldn’t say “terrible” year; he’s actually having a typical year, adjusted for league-wide offensive decline. (His OPS+ is 103; it was 107 last year.) Meaning, of course, that it’s long past time to face facts — he is what he is, a useful player who won’t ever make consistent enough contact to be much more than that. (Though no doubt the Phillies have taken note of his home/road splits: .171/.250/.312 at the Trop, .285/.366/.475 on the road. The Trop is basically playing like the Astrodome this year.)

7. mdpickles - Jul 25, 2011 at 1:56 PM

“Reports on him are that he is a lazy player” — I’m not quite sure how much veteran leadership is in Tampa, but if he did that in Philly, Chase, Roy H., JRoll, etc. would be lining up at his locker to give him the business.

8. skeleteeth - Jul 25, 2011 at 2:06 PM

He has this air about him that somehow he’s entitled to act like he’s fulfilled all of this elusive potential everyone has been talking about that will come for the past 6 or so years. I don’t see it happening, nor him as more than an over-hyped prospect. PASS.

9. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 25, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I love it, the guy sucks and he fits what the phils need cause he shouldnt cost much and the phils cant afford anything good. Call it a match made in heaven

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 25, 2011 at 2:11 PM

I agree, dirtyharry. Upton would be good for the Phillies.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 25, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Not as good as brown imo. btw, he just legged out a triple. WOOT!

• Utley's Hair - Jul 25, 2011 at 2:33 PM

A triple aided by a Keystone Kops play in right-center.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 25, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Yeah, I saw the Brown triple. I’m glad that San Diego’s outfielders are OK after the collision.

I was being sarcastic with dirtyharry, the Phillies lover. Upton’s not my guy that I want the Phils to acquire.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 25, 2011 at 2:54 PM

I wasn’t mocking the players. Just pointing out the apparent lack of communication.

By the way, a thunderstorm is rolling that way, so don’t rule out a delay. Maybe Cliffy was trying to get out of there in time.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 25, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Don’t look now, Jonny, but Lidge is in.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 25, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Hair,

My last comment was a response to Jonny, not you. I know you don’t mock players. My apologies for the misunderstanding. I was just trying to clarify my remark to dirtyharry, the Phils lover.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 25, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Oops…I didn’t see the time stamp differential—I just refreshed the tab later after a while.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 25, 2011 at 3:39 PM

No problem, Hair.

What a game!!!! Victorino just tripled. 5-4. Ibanez up.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 25, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Is Adams auditioning?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 25, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Auditioning for the most bullshit strikes called in a single inning maybe.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 25, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Agreed, Doctor.

Adams got luck with that BS slop he was putting up there. Umpires had it out for the Phils that inning. Probably want to get out of there as quick as possible today.

Here comes Heath Bell. Bottom of the order needs to nail this guy.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 25, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Heath Bell does not get nailed. He is “Hammer”.

10. drunkenhooliganism - Jul 25, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I would love to have him in Philly. I’d give up any one prospect Tampa wanted. I don’t consider Worley or Brown prospects because they’re already on the team.

I think a move out of that cesspool of a home park could spark the breakout the world’s been waiting for out of him.

11. spudchukar - Jul 25, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Phailing Aces? Over the past 4 starts for the big 3 in Philadelphia, their collective ERA is 4.21. Wearing out? Coming back to earth? A harbinger of things to come? Lately the aces have been trumped by the likes of the Padres, A’s, Cubs, Mets, and Braves. What would the ERAs be if they were hurling against offensive teams like the Cards, Yanks, Red Sox, Reds, Rangers or Brewers? Over 5.00 to be sure. Just a bump in the road? Perhaps, but I’d be worried, very worried, cause we all know the offense won’t carry them. Oh, the agony.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 25, 2011 at 4:51 PM

And what are those numbers minus Cliffy, who is having a later summer slump, as he is apt to do (though this year, it’s kind of early)?

• spudchukar - Jul 25, 2011 at 4:58 PM

3.78 w/o Cliffy. So probably around 4.50 vs league average offenses.

• evanwins - Jul 25, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Well you took the smallest sample size you could to make it look as bad as you could. That makes you a moron. Look at the ERA for the season. Look at the team ERA as a whole. Look at the win/loss record. Look at last start by Worlety, Halladay and Hamels if you want to talk trends.

If you have to pick a little, isolated piece to prove your point then you really don’t have a point.

• evanwins - Jul 25, 2011 at 9:04 PM

And by the way, no matter what team you DO like, The Phillies record is better.

• spudchukar - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Not against the Cards it isn’t.

• evanwins - Jul 28, 2011 at 12:26 PM

“not against the Cards”…There you again, taking some small piece of info and trying to turn it into a truth… Too bad the division and the league championships aren’t determined by every teams record against the cards, who are a full 10 games behind the Phillies.

12. evanwins - Jul 25, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Upton is a good fit for the Phils and Tampa is a good trade partner because they need a 1st base prospect and we have 2 good ones who are blocked for the next few years. He’s a good player with the THREAT of power from the right side which is exactly what the Phillies need. He’s fast and an excellent defender. I also think he’s average would go up in Philly. I really believe that this is the deal that gets done. Like it or not.

• spudchukar - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Denial is the first stage.

13. spudchukar - Jul 25, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Just heard the Phightens’ are goin’ after Giambi. As a defensive upgrade I guess.

• evanwins - Jul 25, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Really? Cause Howard has a .995 fld.%, 4th in the league. Just sayin’.

• spudchukar - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Ryan Braun went an entire year with either 1 or 0 errors a couple of seasons ago, and is still considered a below average defender. Just like Howard. It is pretty easy build positive stats when you are stationary.

14. derpdederpdederp - Jul 26, 2011 at 1:14 AM

that Yank…er…Phillies are being connected to every player on the trade block. enough already

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4649)
  2. M. Kemp (3703)
  3. M. Cabrera (2909)
  4. J. Kang (2695)
  5. M. Morse (2601)
  1. J. Upton (2575)
  2. A. Rios (2245)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2233)
  4. C. Headley (2188)