Jul 25, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
If you’re looking for evidence of just how thin the starting pitcher trade market it is at the deadline, look no further than Ken Rosenthal’s report that the Reds are fielding calls about Edinson Volquez.
This is the same Edinson Volquez who has been sent down to Louisville twice this season because he can’t, you know, seem to get guys out. He has a 5.93 ERA in the bigs, striking out batters at a fairly healthy clip, but walking way too many and being hit-tastic.
I file this under the same category that filed Colby Rasmus when I mentioned the possibility of him being traded in today’s Power Rankings: interesting talent, but at his nadir, and thus the Reds wouldn’t be able to get much value in return for him.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 38
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (102)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)