Jul 25, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
If you’re looking for evidence of just how thin the starting pitcher trade market it is at the deadline, look no further than Ken Rosenthal’s report that the Reds are fielding calls about Edinson Volquez.
This is the same Edinson Volquez who has been sent down to Louisville twice this season because he can’t, you know, seem to get guys out. He has a 5.93 ERA in the bigs, striking out batters at a fairly healthy clip, but walking way too many and being hit-tastic.
I file this under the same category that filed Colby Rasmus when I mentioned the possibility of him being traded in today’s Power Rankings: interesting talent, but at his nadir, and thus the Reds wouldn’t be able to get much value in return for him.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)