Jul 25, 2011, 4:16 PM EDT
If you’re looking for evidence of just how thin the starting pitcher trade market it is at the deadline, look no further than Ken Rosenthal’s report that the Reds are fielding calls about Edinson Volquez.
This is the same Edinson Volquez who has been sent down to Louisville twice this season because he can’t, you know, seem to get guys out. He has a 5.93 ERA in the bigs, striking out batters at a fairly healthy clip, but walking way too many and being hit-tastic.
I file this under the same category that filed Colby Rasmus when I mentioned the possibility of him being traded in today’s Power Rankings: interesting talent, but at his nadir, and thus the Reds wouldn’t be able to get much value in return for him.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)