Jul 25, 2011, 4:16 PM EST
If you’re looking for evidence of just how thin the starting pitcher trade market it is at the deadline, look no further than Ken Rosenthal’s report that the Reds are fielding calls about Edinson Volquez.
This is the same Edinson Volquez who has been sent down to Louisville twice this season because he can’t, you know, seem to get guys out. He has a 5.93 ERA in the bigs, striking out batters at a fairly healthy clip, but walking way too many and being hit-tastic.
I file this under the same category that filed Colby Rasmus when I mentioned the possibility of him being traded in today’s Power Rankings: interesting talent, but at his nadir, and thus the Reds wouldn’t be able to get much value in return for him.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)