Jul 25, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
You know this, but it’s worth memorializing today anyway. The Seattle Mariners lost their 15th in a row yesterday. Some randomness to put their skid and their overall sorry state in perspective:
- When the losing streak started, they were at .500 and they were only 2.5 games back of the division lead. They are now 14.5 games back;
- Their best-hitting everday position player on the season as a whole is Justin Smoak. Over the past 28 days he is hitting .118/.188/.145;
- Other offensive starters have current OPS+ of 28 (Franklin Gutierrez); 38 (Chone Figgins); and 48 (Jack Wilson).
- Last year the M’s scored 513 runs, posting the worst offense for any team since the advent of the DH. This season they’re scoring 3.24 runs a game, for a pace of 525. Well, if you round up anyway.
So I guess we could spin this as not-yet historically bad, but it only takes another few games of futility to put them on a history-setting pace once again.
A three-game series starts against the Yankees today, followed by a day off and then a series against the Rays. I wouldn’t put money on them righting the ship just yet.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights