Jul 25, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
You know this, but it’s worth memorializing today anyway. The Seattle Mariners lost their 15th in a row yesterday. Some randomness to put their skid and their overall sorry state in perspective:
- When the losing streak started, they were at .500 and they were only 2.5 games back of the division lead. They are now 14.5 games back;
- Their best-hitting everday position player on the season as a whole is Justin Smoak. Over the past 28 days he is hitting .118/.188/.145;
- Other offensive starters have current OPS+ of 28 (Franklin Gutierrez); 38 (Chone Figgins); and 48 (Jack Wilson).
- Last year the M’s scored 513 runs, posting the worst offense for any team since the advent of the DH. This season they’re scoring 3.24 runs a game, for a pace of 525. Well, if you round up anyway.
So I guess we could spin this as not-yet historically bad, but it only takes another few games of futility to put them on a history-setting pace once again.
A three-game series starts against the Yankees today, followed by a day off and then a series against the Rays. I wouldn’t put money on them righting the ship just yet.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)