Jul 25, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
You know this, but it’s worth memorializing today anyway. The Seattle Mariners lost their 15th in a row yesterday. Some randomness to put their skid and their overall sorry state in perspective:
- When the losing streak started, they were at .500 and they were only 2.5 games back of the division lead. They are now 14.5 games back;
- Their best-hitting everday position player on the season as a whole is Justin Smoak. Over the past 28 days he is hitting .118/.188/.145;
- Other offensive starters have current OPS+ of 28 (Franklin Gutierrez); 38 (Chone Figgins); and 48 (Jack Wilson).
- Last year the M’s scored 513 runs, posting the worst offense for any team since the advent of the DH. This season they’re scoring 3.24 runs a game, for a pace of 525. Well, if you round up anyway.
So I guess we could spin this as not-yet historically bad, but it only takes another few games of futility to put them on a history-setting pace once again.
A three-game series starts against the Yankees today, followed by a day off and then a series against the Rays. I wouldn’t put money on them righting the ship just yet.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (88)