Jul 25, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
You know this, but it’s worth memorializing today anyway. The Seattle Mariners lost their 15th in a row yesterday. Some randomness to put their skid and their overall sorry state in perspective:
- When the losing streak started, they were at .500 and they were only 2.5 games back of the division lead. They are now 14.5 games back;
- Their best-hitting everday position player on the season as a whole is Justin Smoak. Over the past 28 days he is hitting .118/.188/.145;
- Other offensive starters have current OPS+ of 28 (Franklin Gutierrez); 38 (Chone Figgins); and 48 (Jack Wilson).
- Last year the M’s scored 513 runs, posting the worst offense for any team since the advent of the DH. This season they’re scoring 3.24 runs a game, for a pace of 525. Well, if you round up anyway.
So I guess we could spin this as not-yet historically bad, but it only takes another few games of futility to put them on a history-setting pace once again.
A three-game series starts against the Yankees today, followed by a day off and then a series against the Rays. I wouldn’t put money on them righting the ship just yet.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)