Jul 25, 2011, 9:15 AM EST
You know this, but it’s worth memorializing today anyway. The Seattle Mariners lost their 15th in a row yesterday. Some randomness to put their skid and their overall sorry state in perspective:
- When the losing streak started, they were at .500 and they were only 2.5 games back of the division lead. They are now 14.5 games back;
- Their best-hitting everday position player on the season as a whole is Justin Smoak. Over the past 28 days he is hitting .118/.188/.145;
- Other offensive starters have current OPS+ of 28 (Franklin Gutierrez); 38 (Chone Figgins); and 48 (Jack Wilson).
- Last year the M’s scored 513 runs, posting the worst offense for any team since the advent of the DH. This season they’re scoring 3.24 runs a game, for a pace of 525. Well, if you round up anyway.
So I guess we could spin this as not-yet historically bad, but it only takes another few games of futility to put them on a history-setting pace once again.
A three-game series starts against the Yankees today, followed by a day off and then a series against the Rays. I wouldn’t put money on them righting the ship just yet.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)