Jul 25, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT
Danny Knobler of CBS Sports says that the Rays are telling teams that they won’t trade James Shields. This after a week of random speculation that the Reds, Yankees and maybe some other teams would be interested.
Shields is having a fantastic year, but the trade matchups don’t seem ideal at the moment, with the teams that may need him the most — the Yankees and Red Sox — not being viable trade partners for the AL East-dwelling Rays. Given that he is subject to team options for the next three years, it may make more sense for the Rays to shop him — if that is their intent — come winter.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 25
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 17
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)