Jul 25, 2011, 9:40 AM EST
Danny Knobler of CBS Sports says that the Rays are telling teams that they won’t trade James Shields. This after a week of random speculation that the Reds, Yankees and maybe some other teams would be interested.
Shields is having a fantastic year, but the trade matchups don’t seem ideal at the moment, with the teams that may need him the most — the Yankees and Red Sox — not being viable trade partners for the AL East-dwelling Rays. Given that he is subject to team options for the next three years, it may make more sense for the Rays to shop him — if that is their intent — come winter.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 13
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 22
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)