Jul 25, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT
Danny Knobler of CBS Sports says that the Rays are telling teams that they won’t trade James Shields. This after a week of random speculation that the Reds, Yankees and maybe some other teams would be interested.
Shields is having a fantastic year, but the trade matchups don’t seem ideal at the moment, with the teams that may need him the most — the Yankees and Red Sox — not being viable trade partners for the AL East-dwelling Rays. Given that he is subject to team options for the next three years, it may make more sense for the Rays to shop him — if that is their intent — come winter.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 0
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)