Jul 25, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT
Danny Knobler of CBS Sports says that the Rays are telling teams that they won’t trade James Shields. This after a week of random speculation that the Reds, Yankees and maybe some other teams would be interested.
Shields is having a fantastic year, but the trade matchups don’t seem ideal at the moment, with the teams that may need him the most — the Yankees and Red Sox — not being viable trade partners for the AL East-dwelling Rays. Given that he is subject to team options for the next three years, it may make more sense for the Rays to shop him — if that is their intent — come winter.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 28
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 102
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32