Jul 25, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT
Danny Knobler of CBS Sports says that the Rays are telling teams that they won’t trade James Shields. This after a week of random speculation that the Reds, Yankees and maybe some other teams would be interested.
Shields is having a fantastic year, but the trade matchups don’t seem ideal at the moment, with the teams that may need him the most — the Yankees and Red Sox — not being viable trade partners for the AL East-dwelling Rays. Given that he is subject to team options for the next three years, it may make more sense for the Rays to shop him — if that is their intent — come winter.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)