Jul 26, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Adrian Beltre was placed on the disabled list over the weekend after suffering a Grade 1 hamstring strain running the bases, but the Rangers third baseman said yesterday that he expects to spend the minimum 15 days on the shelf.
Ron Washington expressed some doubt about Beltre’s ability to return that quickly, telling T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com: “We’re not taking any chances in getting him back here before he is right.”
Beltre noted that he’s a quick healer and teammate Julio Borbon needed three weeks off to rest a similar injury.
He’d been playing well well prior to the strain, hitting .358 with six homers and a 1.168 OPS in July, but his overall OPS in the first year of a five-year, $80 million deal with the Rangers is still 80 points below last season’s mark with the Red Sox.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)