Jul 26, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Adrian Beltre was placed on the disabled list over the weekend after suffering a Grade 1 hamstring strain running the bases, but the Rangers third baseman said yesterday that he expects to spend the minimum 15 days on the shelf.
Ron Washington expressed some doubt about Beltre’s ability to return that quickly, telling T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com: “We’re not taking any chances in getting him back here before he is right.”
Beltre noted that he’s a quick healer and teammate Julio Borbon needed three weeks off to rest a similar injury.
He’d been playing well well prior to the strain, hitting .358 with six homers and a 1.168 OPS in July, but his overall OPS in the first year of a five-year, $80 million deal with the Rangers is still 80 points below last season’s mark with the Red Sox.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)