Jul 26, 2011, 6:17 PM EDT
According to MLB.com’s Bill Ladson, the Nationals have added Peter Bourjos to the list of center fielders they’re scouting ahead of the trade deadline. The others: Michael Bourn, Colby Rasmus, Denard Span and B.J. Upton.
The Nationals are thinking the Angels may view Bourjos as expendable with Mike Trout hot on his heels. The Angels are pretty much locked into having Torii Hunter and Vernon Wells back in the outfield corners and Bobby Abreu at DH again next season, so there wouldn’t seem to be any room for both Bourjos and Trout in the everyday lineup.
Still, it doesn’t seem likely that the Angels will part with Bourjos now. He’s a better player than Trout at the moment, and the Halos have postseason aspirations. Bourjos has hit .265/.315/.388 with 11 steals this season and he’s as good of a defensive center fielder as their in baseball, so he’s a well above average regular. Since he’s not going to be a free agent until after 2016, he’s a more valuable property than Bourn, Span or Upton and maybe even Rasmus, given that Rasmus is still struggling to fulfill his potential.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)