Jul 26, 2011, 6:17 PM EDT
According to MLB.com’s Bill Ladson, the Nationals have added Peter Bourjos to the list of center fielders they’re scouting ahead of the trade deadline. The others: Michael Bourn, Colby Rasmus, Denard Span and B.J. Upton.
The Nationals are thinking the Angels may view Bourjos as expendable with Mike Trout hot on his heels. The Angels are pretty much locked into having Torii Hunter and Vernon Wells back in the outfield corners and Bobby Abreu at DH again next season, so there wouldn’t seem to be any room for both Bourjos and Trout in the everyday lineup.
Still, it doesn’t seem likely that the Angels will part with Bourjos now. He’s a better player than Trout at the moment, and the Halos have postseason aspirations. Bourjos has hit .265/.315/.388 with 11 steals this season and he’s as good of a defensive center fielder as their in baseball, so he’s a well above average regular. Since he’s not going to be a free agent until after 2016, he’s a more valuable property than Bourn, Span or Upton and maybe even Rasmus, given that Rasmus is still struggling to fulfill his potential.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 5
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead