Astros fall down a lot in loss to Cardinals, blame U2 and Bono

Jul 26, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT

bono u2

U2 had a concert at Busch Stadium on July 17 and in preparation for the event the Cardinals had to strip the field and then afterward bring in new grass from Colorado, with the recent high temperatures making the re-sodding effort very difficult.

Before last night’s game groundskeeper Bill Findley told Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that the new grass “wasn’t healthy enough to put a pattern on it” and then during the game the visiting Astros fell numerous times on a surface Goold described as “bare and the dirt exposed to the drying and cracking heat.”

Here’s how Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle described the issues:

Hunter Pence fell coming in on a fly ball that turned into a triple, Michael Bourn just fell in center field, and Jose Altuve fell rounding first on a single. Also Jason Bourgeois had a ball elude him for an error.

Now, in fairness to U2 (which are words I never expected to type, ever) some of that can probably just be blamed on the Astros being a terrible team with an MLB-worst 33-69 record. After all, they fall down and make errors plenty no matter the locale. With that said, afterward several players and coaches talked about how little traction there was on the new grass.

Or as Hunter Pence put it: “I didn’t expect it to be tough until I fell down.”

Words to live by, really.

1. dan1111 - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Great headline.

2. halladaysbiceps - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:05 PM

People always try to blame Bono for all the world’s problems. Insn’t he still the record holder for the largest turd? 9.5 Coric’s, I believe.

• paperlions - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I am pretty sure Randy Marsh beat that record with a crap that was over 100 Courics.

• hittfamily - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Well, Randy’s turd doesn’t sell out busch stadium, so the turd that is Bono, is a far more profitable turd, even if it is smaller.

3. spudchukar - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:06 PM

The new sod sucks. However, both Pence and Bourjeois misplayed the balls and the sod was not to blame. The Cards play the next 6 days in St. Louis, so I guess teams will have to get used to it, cause it most likely will not improve.

• 78mu - Jul 26, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I don’t blame Bono. I blame TLR. He had the good turf put down for the top of the 1st so the Cardinal fielders have good footing. Then when the Cardinals came to bat he had the grounds crew pull up the good turf and put the new stuff down so the Astros would slip and fall. Repeat after every half inning.

People may scoff because no one can remember seeing the grounds crew change the turf every half inning. But it’s LaRussa and we all know he’s capable of any and all tricks.

4. FC - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Last I checked both teams play on the same field, how many times did the Cardinals players fall down? Also, last I checked the Astro’s pitchers throw from the mound, not the grass…

I think it’s safe to say it’s the Astros being the worst team in Baseball that’s to blame…

• paperlions - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:15 PM

The Astros being the worst team in baseball is the reason that turf went flying from under their players cleats?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Yep, they’re THAT bad. ;)

5. Charles Gates - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I guess Bono’s grass roots movement didn’t take hold.

(sorry)

• 78mu - Jul 26, 2011 at 2:47 PM

How was Bono to know that the July weather in St. Louis would not be conducive to growing new sod? It’s not like we’ve ever had hot, humid summers in St. Louis before. Summer in San Diego or summer in St. Louis – they’re pretty much the same aren’t they?

6. hittfamily - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:18 PM

I guess the Trop and it’s turf does once again, prove itself to be the best stadium in the league.

7. aceshigh11 - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:18 PM

The Astros move in mysterious ways.

(double-sorry)

• Charles Gates - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:28 PM

July 17th was a Sunday, bloody Sunday.
      I’m gonna keep making puns with or without you.

• Charles Gates - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:30 PM

With the Astros’ fall in the standings, I’m surprised they haven’t gotten vertigo.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:47 PM

So will I….we can keep going until New Years Day.

• nolanwiffle - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Clearly they have no pride….In the name of love!

• nolanwiffle - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Perhaps the Astros would have fared better fielding balls at home on one tree hill…or whatever they call that flag pole abomination at Minute Maid.

….and done.

• FC - Jul 26, 2011 at 1:13 PM

It’s a beautiful day… for playing baseball

8. ditto65 - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I like to blame Bono every time I fall.

9. dailyrev - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Pence’s words ring clarion indeed — if only he was talking about the economy.

10. Jonny 5 - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Bono was responsible for killing grass, causing a need for new to be hacked from it’s spot and transplanted using equipment that harms the environment, Knocking down and possibly injuring innocent ball players, and using more fuel than needed to move his tacky a$$ stage all over creation. Of course he loves the green movement, but that’s if you mean moving green into his pockets. Yes, I’m finding reasons to dislike him besides “shadows and tall trees”.

11. paperlions - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Maybe it isn’t Bono fault at all, unlikely, I know….but perhaps it was just the grass itself taking revenge on the Astros for their attempt to put grass in the unemployment line by replacing it with a synthetic.

12. thegonz13 - Jul 26, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Weren’t the Cards playing on the same surface? Don’t blame the turf if you’re inept, guys!

13. danberman4 - Jul 26, 2011 at 5:45 PM

Don’t forget the Marlins moved a home series to Seattle because of U2. What a double play!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2861)