Jul 26, 2011, 2:06 PM EDT
This is kind of fun. Alyson Footer tells about how back in the 90s, when she was doing Houston Astros PR work, one of her jobs was to keep track of all of the aliases that the players used when checking into hotels. Aliases that kept them from being bugged by fans but that, as a result, made it somewhat difficult for her to remember who was who.
Sadly there aren’t any totally awesome aliases mentioned here. Though, yeah, Carl Everett using “Rod Stewart” was pretty tight. I wouldn’t think of him as having a sense of humor. But actually, now that I think about it, it’s possible that he was just a dead serious Rod Stewart fan. Like, if you told him that “Young Turks” was a horrible, empty pop song which more or less spit on the raucous memory of The Faces and the genuinely sweet and affecting qualities of Stweart’s early solo work, Everett would beat you up.
Biggest surprise, though: Footer makes no mention of guys using the alias “Buck Naked.” It was the 90s for cryin’ out loud. If you asked 12 guys back then to come up with a fake name, at least seven of them would have used Buck Naked, right?
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 14
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 26
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 54
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 68
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 85
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)