Jul 26, 2011, 2:06 PM EDT
This is kind of fun. Alyson Footer tells about how back in the 90s, when she was doing Houston Astros PR work, one of her jobs was to keep track of all of the aliases that the players used when checking into hotels. Aliases that kept them from being bugged by fans but that, as a result, made it somewhat difficult for her to remember who was who.
Sadly there aren’t any totally awesome aliases mentioned here. Though, yeah, Carl Everett using “Rod Stewart” was pretty tight. I wouldn’t think of him as having a sense of humor. But actually, now that I think about it, it’s possible that he was just a dead serious Rod Stewart fan. Like, if you told him that “Young Turks” was a horrible, empty pop song which more or less spit on the raucous memory of The Faces and the genuinely sweet and affecting qualities of Stweart’s early solo work, Everett would beat you up.
Biggest surprise, though: Footer makes no mention of guys using the alias “Buck Naked.” It was the 90s for cryin’ out loud. If you asked 12 guys back then to come up with a fake name, at least seven of them would have used Buck Naked, right?
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 4
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 9
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)