Jul 26, 2011, 8:12 PM EDT
It will still take an overwhelming haul for a deal to actually happen, but here’s a potential dark horse in the Ubaldo Jimenez talks.
An executive who spoke with the Blue Jays told Jayson Stark of ESPN.com that they “legitimately want this guy.” Jon Heyman of SI.com includes the Blue Jays among seven teams who have expressed interest in the 27-year-old right-hander. The Reds, Tigers, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers and Indians are the others.
If you want some idea of what Jimenez could cost in talent, Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies have asked the Reds about Cuban left-hander Arolidis Chapman, top prospect catcher Devin Mesoraco and outfielder Chris Heisey. Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer earlier today that Chapman and Mesoraco were essentially untouchable, but the Rockies obviously don’t plan to settle for anything less than high-end talent.
For what it’s worth, Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com hears that if Jimenez is traded, the Yankees have the “best chance” to get him.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 9
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (86)