Jul 26, 2011, 8:12 PM EDT
It will still take an overwhelming haul for a deal to actually happen, but here’s a potential dark horse in the Ubaldo Jimenez talks.
An executive who spoke with the Blue Jays told Jayson Stark of ESPN.com that they “legitimately want this guy.” Jon Heyman of SI.com includes the Blue Jays among seven teams who have expressed interest in the 27-year-old right-hander. The Reds, Tigers, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers and Indians are the others.
If you want some idea of what Jimenez could cost in talent, Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies have asked the Reds about Cuban left-hander Arolidis Chapman, top prospect catcher Devin Mesoraco and outfielder Chris Heisey. Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer earlier today that Chapman and Mesoraco were essentially untouchable, but the Rockies obviously don’t plan to settle for anything less than high-end talent.
For what it’s worth, Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com hears that if Jimenez is traded, the Yankees have the “best chance” to get him.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)