Jul 26, 2011, 2:22 PM EDT
As expected, Brandon Inge has cleared waivers after being designated for assignment by the Tigers last week and accepted a demotion to Triple-A.
Inge is hitting .177 this season, hasn’t been a productive offensive player since 2006, and is owed around $7.5 million through the end of next season, so it’s no surprise that he went unclaimed.
It’s still possible that the Tigers will eventually be able to find a taker for Inge if they agree to eat the majority of that money in exchange for a low-level prospect, but short of that he simply doesn’t have any value at this point and Detroit may think keeping him around as emergency depth is more useful than a marginal prospect anyway.
For now Inge will play in Toledo while Wilson Betemit takes his old gig in Detroit.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)