Jul 26, 2011, 10:42 PM EDT
11:30 p.m. EDT update: It’s a strained left oblique for McCann, and he will go on the disabled list prior to Wednesday’s game. J.C. Boscan is likely to replace him,while David Ross takes over as the Braves’ starting catcher.
11:10 p.m. EDT update: The Braves have confirmed that it’s an injury to his left side, which suggests an oblique strain.
David Ross took his place behind the plate.
McCann was injured while launching a throw into center field. He tried testing the injury with a toss back to the mound afterwards, but he was too hurt to continue.
Losing McCann to the disabled list would be quite a blow to the Braves, even though they have one of the game’s back backup catchers in David Ross. McCann had two hits tonight, raising his average to .306, and he leads all major league catchers with 18 homers and 55 RBI this season.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)