Jul 26, 2011, 10:42 PM EST
11:30 p.m. EDT update: It’s a strained left oblique for McCann, and he will go on the disabled list prior to Wednesday’s game. J.C. Boscan is likely to replace him,while David Ross takes over as the Braves’ starting catcher.
11:10 p.m. EDT update: The Braves have confirmed that it’s an injury to his left side, which suggests an oblique strain.
David Ross took his place behind the plate.
McCann was injured while launching a throw into center field. He tried testing the injury with a toss back to the mound afterwards, but he was too hurt to continue.
Losing McCann to the disabled list would be quite a blow to the Braves, even though they have one of the game’s back backup catchers in David Ross. McCann had two hits tonight, raising his average to .306, and he leads all major league catchers with 18 homers and 55 RBI this season.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (74)