Jul 26, 2011, 10:42 PM EDT
11:30 p.m. EDT update: It’s a strained left oblique for McCann, and he will go on the disabled list prior to Wednesday’s game. J.C. Boscan is likely to replace him,while David Ross takes over as the Braves’ starting catcher.
11:10 p.m. EDT update: The Braves have confirmed that it’s an injury to his left side, which suggests an oblique strain.
David Ross took his place behind the plate.
McCann was injured while launching a throw into center field. He tried testing the injury with a toss back to the mound afterwards, but he was too hurt to continue.
Losing McCann to the disabled list would be quite a blow to the Braves, even though they have one of the game’s back backup catchers in David Ross. McCann had two hits tonight, raising his average to .306, and he leads all major league catchers with 18 homers and 55 RBI this season.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)