Jul 26, 2011, 10:42 PM EDT
11:30 p.m. EDT update: It’s a strained left oblique for McCann, and he will go on the disabled list prior to Wednesday’s game. J.C. Boscan is likely to replace him,while David Ross takes over as the Braves’ starting catcher.
11:10 p.m. EDT update: The Braves have confirmed that it’s an injury to his left side, which suggests an oblique strain.
David Ross took his place behind the plate.
McCann was injured while launching a throw into center field. He tried testing the injury with a toss back to the mound afterwards, but he was too hurt to continue.
Losing McCann to the disabled list would be quite a blow to the Braves, even though they have one of the game’s back backup catchers in David Ross. McCann had two hits tonight, raising his average to .306, and he leads all major league catchers with 18 homers and 55 RBI this season.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 7
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 15
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)