Jul 26, 2011, 10:42 PM EDT
11:30 p.m. EDT update: It’s a strained left oblique for McCann, and he will go on the disabled list prior to Wednesday’s game. J.C. Boscan is likely to replace him,while David Ross takes over as the Braves’ starting catcher.
11:10 p.m. EDT update: The Braves have confirmed that it’s an injury to his left side, which suggests an oblique strain.
David Ross took his place behind the plate.
McCann was injured while launching a throw into center field. He tried testing the injury with a toss back to the mound afterwards, but he was too hurt to continue.
Losing McCann to the disabled list would be quite a blow to the Braves, even though they have one of the game’s back backup catchers in David Ross. McCann had two hits tonight, raising his average to .306, and he leads all major league catchers with 18 homers and 55 RBI this season.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)