Jul 26, 2011, 11:12 PM EDT
The only Mariner to play the whole game without striking out was .182-hitting Chone Figgins, who actually fanned three times in his last start Thursday against the Blue Jays. Figgins also drove in the club’s lone run on a fielder’s choice.
Everything else was simply hideous. Miguel Olivo struck out four times. Ichiro Suzuki and Brendan Ryan whiffed three times apiece. The only starter besides Figgins not to K was Greg Halman, who went 0-for-2 before being lifted for a pinch-hitter. That pinch-hitter, Adam Kennedy, struck out.
In all, it was the 36th 18-strikeout game of nine-innings of less in major league history. The Yankees tied their team record. Ron Guidry fanned 18 all by himself back against the Angels on June 17, 1978. Sabathia, who had his outing interrupted by a rain delay, fanned 14 of the 25 batters he faced tonight.
Of course, the Mariners were on the losing end of the first ever 20-strikeout nine-inning game. Boston’s Roger Clemens was responsible for that massacre on April 29, 1986. There have been two more 20 strikeout games since. If not for Figgins, there might have been a fourth tonight.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)