Jul 26, 2011, 11:12 PM EDT
The only Mariner to play the whole game without striking out was .182-hitting Chone Figgins, who actually fanned three times in his last start Thursday against the Blue Jays. Figgins also drove in the club’s lone run on a fielder’s choice.
Everything else was simply hideous. Miguel Olivo struck out four times. Ichiro Suzuki and Brendan Ryan whiffed three times apiece. The only starter besides Figgins not to K was Greg Halman, who went 0-for-2 before being lifted for a pinch-hitter. That pinch-hitter, Adam Kennedy, struck out.
In all, it was the 36th 18-strikeout game of nine-innings of less in major league history. The Yankees tied their team record. Ron Guidry fanned 18 all by himself back against the Angels on June 17, 1978. Sabathia, who had his outing interrupted by a rain delay, fanned 14 of the 25 batters he faced tonight.
Of course, the Mariners were on the losing end of the first ever 20-strikeout nine-inning game. Boston’s Roger Clemens was responsible for that massacre on April 29, 1986. There have been two more 20 strikeout games since. If not for Figgins, there might have been a fourth tonight.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)