Jul 26, 2011, 11:12 PM EST
The only Mariner to play the whole game without striking out was .182-hitting Chone Figgins, who actually fanned three times in his last start Thursday against the Blue Jays. Figgins also drove in the club’s lone run on a fielder’s choice.
Everything else was simply hideous. Miguel Olivo struck out four times. Ichiro Suzuki and Brendan Ryan whiffed three times apiece. The only starter besides Figgins not to K was Greg Halman, who went 0-for-2 before being lifted for a pinch-hitter. That pinch-hitter, Adam Kennedy, struck out.
In all, it was the 36th 18-strikeout game of nine-innings of less in major league history. The Yankees tied their team record. Ron Guidry fanned 18 all by himself back against the Angels on June 17, 1978. Sabathia, who had his outing interrupted by a rain delay, fanned 14 of the 25 batters he faced tonight.
Of course, the Mariners were on the losing end of the first ever 20-strikeout nine-inning game. Boston’s Roger Clemens was responsible for that massacre on April 29, 1986. There have been two more 20 strikeout games since. If not for Figgins, there might have been a fourth tonight.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 41
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)