Jul 26, 2011, 10:59 AM EDT
Via BTF comes a story from the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel in which former Pirate Dave Parker says that, in his humble opinion, he should be in the Hall of Fame. He’s said this before, of course. He’s one of the more active retired players when it comes to that sort of thing.
And whenever he says it, I say the same thing: Parker’s prime was nice, but it was far too short to carry a peak-heavy, Sandy Koufax-style Hall of Fame candidacy. And then, after that awesome short peak, drugs and weight problems put him in the wilderness for a good five or six years, then he had a brief, but overrated blip with the Cincinnati Reds, and then he tailed off like most older players do, going form town to town, up and down the dial.
If that hadn’t happened — if he had kept himself in shape and off the blow during what should have been the prime of his career — sure, we’d be having a different conversation right now. But it didn’t go down like that. As a result, Parker had less overall career value than Jim Rice did, and Jim Rice shouldn’t have made the Hall of Fame himself.
Sorry, Dave. Buy a ticket.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)