Jul 26, 2011, 5:21 PM EDT
Arizona has activated J.J. Putz from the disabled list after the closer missed the past month with elbow tendinitis.
It’ll be interesting to see how quickly the Diamondbacks move Putz back into the closer role, because he struggled mightily prior to being shut down in late June and fill-in closer David Hernandez has been nearly unhittable this month, allowing just one hit in eight shutout innings while converting all six of his saves chances.
Prior to his elbow acting up again Putz was plenty dominant too, converting his first 16 save chances with a 1.45 ERA through the end of May, but he blew four saves in June as his overall ERA doubled. Putz is under contract for $4.5 million next season with a $6.5 million option or $1.5 million buyout for 2013, so the Diamondbacks have reason to be cautious with his workload down the stretch.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59