Jul 26, 2011, 5:21 PM EDT
Arizona has activated J.J. Putz from the disabled list after the closer missed the past month with elbow tendinitis.
It’ll be interesting to see how quickly the Diamondbacks move Putz back into the closer role, because he struggled mightily prior to being shut down in late June and fill-in closer David Hernandez has been nearly unhittable this month, allowing just one hit in eight shutout innings while converting all six of his saves chances.
Prior to his elbow acting up again Putz was plenty dominant too, converting his first 16 save chances with a 1.45 ERA through the end of May, but he blew four saves in June as his overall ERA doubled. Putz is under contract for $4.5 million next season with a $6.5 million option or $1.5 million buyout for 2013, so the Diamondbacks have reason to be cautious with his workload down the stretch.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)