Jul 26, 2011, 5:21 PM EDT
Arizona has activated J.J. Putz from the disabled list after the closer missed the past month with elbow tendinitis.
It’ll be interesting to see how quickly the Diamondbacks move Putz back into the closer role, because he struggled mightily prior to being shut down in late June and fill-in closer David Hernandez has been nearly unhittable this month, allowing just one hit in eight shutout innings while converting all six of his saves chances.
Prior to his elbow acting up again Putz was plenty dominant too, converting his first 16 save chances with a 1.45 ERA through the end of May, but he blew four saves in June as his overall ERA doubled. Putz is under contract for $4.5 million next season with a $6.5 million option or $1.5 million buyout for 2013, so the Diamondbacks have reason to be cautious with his workload down the stretch.
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 0
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 31
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 53
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)