Jul 26, 2011, 5:21 PM EDT
Arizona has activated J.J. Putz from the disabled list after the closer missed the past month with elbow tendinitis.
It’ll be interesting to see how quickly the Diamondbacks move Putz back into the closer role, because he struggled mightily prior to being shut down in late June and fill-in closer David Hernandez has been nearly unhittable this month, allowing just one hit in eight shutout innings while converting all six of his saves chances.
Prior to his elbow acting up again Putz was plenty dominant too, converting his first 16 save chances with a 1.45 ERA through the end of May, but he blew four saves in June as his overall ERA doubled. Putz is under contract for $4.5 million next season with a $6.5 million option or $1.5 million buyout for 2013, so the Diamondbacks have reason to be cautious with his workload down the stretch.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)