Jul 26, 2011, 5:21 PM EDT
Arizona has activated J.J. Putz from the disabled list after the closer missed the past month with elbow tendinitis.
It’ll be interesting to see how quickly the Diamondbacks move Putz back into the closer role, because he struggled mightily prior to being shut down in late June and fill-in closer David Hernandez has been nearly unhittable this month, allowing just one hit in eight shutout innings while converting all six of his saves chances.
Prior to his elbow acting up again Putz was plenty dominant too, converting his first 16 save chances with a 1.45 ERA through the end of May, but he blew four saves in June as his overall ERA doubled. Putz is under contract for $4.5 million next season with a $6.5 million option or $1.5 million buyout for 2013, so the Diamondbacks have reason to be cautious with his workload down the stretch.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (123)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona