Jul 26, 2011, 10:40 PM EDT
You knew this was coming. After taking plenty of heat for his ill-advised comments to Sports Illustrated comparing the scrutiny Bryce Harper faces to that of Jackie Robinson, the Nationals released a statement this evening from director of player development Doug Harris.
Here’s the statement in full, via Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com:
“I’d like to clarify my remarks as they appear in Tom Verducci’s recent Sports Illustrated feature story on Bryce Harper. In talking to Tom, my sole intent was to speak to the scrutiny that Harper faces on a daily basis.
“That said, the hardships that Mr. Robinson endured in/around 1947 were unique and historical in context. While Harper’s current situation is extraordinary by most measures, it pales in comparison to the life of Mr. Robinson, nor will it approach the lasting impact. I regret making this ill-fated correlation.”
Nobody will question that with the internet, Twitter, blogs, smartphones and MiLB.tv, among other sources, we’re going to know more about Harper when (or if) he reaches the majors than probably any prospect before him. Hopefully Harris has learned that he could have supported his larger point (and had a lot less of a headache) without resorting to silly and pointless hyperbole.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 3
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 16
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)