Jul 26, 2011, 9:34 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Mike Wilner of “The Fan 590″ in Toronto, the Jays announced that Bautista was taken out of the game for precautionary reasons and is listed as day-to-day.
8:36 PM: Scary moment in tonight’s Orioles-Blue Jays game.
The pitch reportedly hit Bautista square in the left ear flap. He was forced to leave the ballgame, but the good news is that he was able to walk off the field under his own power.
Bautista is batting .329/.466/.680 with a 1.146 OPS this season. He currently leads the majors with 31 home runs, though he hasn’t gone deep since July 9.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 63
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)