Jul 26, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
As is custom, President Obama welcomed the reigning World Series champion San Francisco Giants to the White House yesterday. Usually those meet-and-greets are really brief and cursory, but given all of the debt crisis ugliness, I wouldn’t be at all shocked if Obama hung out with the Giants for a couple hours yesterday, trying to get his mind off things. I probably would.
Most notable during the visit: Brian Wilson and Tim Lincecum — who are unique enough as it is — looking like a pair of terrorist/assassins once they were given suits and ties and placed in an official setting. Seriously, look at that pic and tell me that Wilson isn’t imagining eating Obama’s liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti. Or at least trying to make us all think that’s what he’s thinking because he has a reputation for edginess to uphold. Frankly I’ve lost track of whether we’re supposed to be shocked by Wilson, tired of his calculated weirdness or if we’re back to simply enjoying it. These trend cycles can be difficult to navigate.
Also notable: the Giants presented the president with a number 44 jersey. My first thought when I saw that was that it wasn’t too respectful of Willie McCovey who had the thing retired in his honor, but then I read that he gave it the OK. Which, given that McCovey is supposed to be a pretty awesome guy isn’t too surprising. If 44 had been Will Clark’s or something, though, there could have been trouble.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 37
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)