Long-haired freaky people allowed into White House

Jul 26, 2011, 8:25 AM EST

Barack Obama, Brian Wilson

As is custom, President Obama welcomed the reigning World Series champion San Francisco Giants to the White House yesterday.  Usually those meet-and-greets are really brief and cursory, but given all of the debt crisis ugliness, I wouldn’t be at all shocked if Obama hung out with the Giants for a couple hours yesterday, trying to get his mind off things. I probably would.

Most notable during the visit: Brian Wilson and Tim Lincecum — who are unique enough as it is — looking like a pair of terrorist/assassins once they were given suits and ties and placed in an official setting. Seriously, look at that pic and tell me that Wilson isn’t imagining eating Obama’s liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti. Or at least trying to make us all think that’s what he’s thinking because he has a reputation for edginess to uphold. Frankly I’ve lost track of whether we’re supposed to be shocked by Wilson, tired of his calculated weirdness or if we’re back to simply enjoying it.  These trend cycles can be difficult to navigate.

Also notable: the Giants presented the president with a number 44 jersey. My first thought when I saw that was that it wasn’t too respectful of Willie McCovey who had the thing retired in his honor, but then I read that he gave it the OK.  Which, given that McCovey is supposed to be a pretty awesome guy isn’t too surprising. If 44 had been Will Clark’s or something, though, there could have been trouble.

1. paperlions - Jul 26, 2011 at 8:30 AM

They should have given him a Luke Scott Jersey.

2. joecool16280 - Jul 26, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Wilson is authentic and full of awesomeness

• proudlycanadian - Jul 26, 2011 at 8:41 AM

I am not sure about that. He looks like a product of New England inbreeding. I know something about the topic as my ex was also from NH.

• Old Gator - Jul 26, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Now now, no bashing the ex here. (giggle)

• ditto65 - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:16 AM

He’s about as authentic as a Rolex bought on the street. And almost as awesome.

• 24may98 - Jul 26, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Ah? . . . . He has a genius IQ.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 26, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Yeah, because geniuses are sure to be regular, run-of-the-mill, normal folks.

• bigxrob - Jul 26, 2011 at 8:52 AM

He’s been in MLB since 2006 and I only remember him being “eccentric” since the middle of last year.
      Is this a new thing or did I just not know about it due to my east coast bias?

• Travis Reitsma - Jul 26, 2011 at 1:37 PM

No, he’s been like this his whole life apparently. There’s a story of him playing high school basketball where he painted his legs the colour of the opposing team’s jersey so that he could “ninja” his way to a win. Sounds like he’s been like this forever.

3. Jonny 5 - Jul 26, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Put a top hat on that man and he’s Abe Lincoln. A well fed version.

• wlschneider09 - Jul 26, 2011 at 8:36 AM

Put a bowler on him and he’s John Wilkes Booth…

• shaggylocks - Jul 26, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Good call! I can’t believe BW didn’t show up wearing a top hat or a bowler or both. You’re slipping, Bri…

• Jonny 5 - Jul 26, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Give him a medical degree have him help Booth and he will forever be known as Mudd.

• Old Gator - Jul 26, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Put a propeller beanie on him and he’s Brian Wilson again.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:35 AM

No, Jonny. No top hat, please—’cause he might want to dress to the nines and put on that spandex tuxedo again. And that would be worse than Jim Leyland in his skivvies…

• Jonny 5 - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:11 AM

“Shudder”

• natstowngreg - Jul 26, 2011 at 1:49 PM

The president could have had The Beard declared a national security risk, and had it arrested. Not Wilson, just The Beard.

Meanwhile, Lincecum looked like Tiny Tim. Or Steve Nash.

4. kopy - Jul 26, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Meanwhile, Bears fan Barack Obama has yet to invite the Packers for their customary visit.

• wlschneider09 - Jul 26, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Last time the Pack came to the White House the place smelled like cheese for weeks…

• paperlions - Jul 26, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Yeah, because that’s something the president controls….when to spend an hour shaking athlete’s hands. Seems to me the Giants won the WS a few months before the Packers won, and that for the last 4 months, the Packers had told their players not to show up for work….might make it a bit difficult to schedule a white-house visit in that situation…but kudos for working so hard to fabricate a scenario about which to take umbrage.

• bigxrob - Jul 26, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Paper, you’re letting facts and reason get in the way. There is no room for that kind of thinking in American politics.
        Next thing we know you’ll be trying to apply common sense.

• kopy - Jul 26, 2011 at 8:59 AM

I’m sorry you thought I was actually blaming the president. If the NFL gave the Packers an exception to the lockout to have their Super Bowl ring reception ceremony, they certainly would’ve gotten one to visit the White House. They just haven’t been invited yet. Yes, the Giants won the World Series months before the Super Bowl, but invitations for something like this are sent out months in advance.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Well, you did actually say that he didn’t invite them, so it’s kind of tough not to think that you were blaming the president. And why would they get clearance to gather together to go to DC for a traditional, yet pointless visit? It’s a good photo op, but totally unnecessary.

• kopy - Jul 26, 2011 at 2:17 PM

A. Sarcasm.
        B. The players want to go. They are the ones who keep asking to go and talking about it to the point where I know all of this.

• kellyb9 - Jul 26, 2011 at 9:11 AM

In Obama’s defense, I doubt the Packers organization or the NFL was really working hard to set up the annual Super Bowl champions visit to the White House with that whole lockout thing going on.

• Old Gator - Jul 26, 2011 at 9:57 AM

“In Obama’s defense.” Dang, haven’t heard that one in a while.

• stevejeltzjehricurl - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Actually, I’m wondering what the Packer employees were doing during the lockout. They can probably provide advice to federal employees who stop receiving checks next week when there’s no debt ceiling agreement.

• kopy - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I’m wondering what the Packers players did. It’s kind of hard to not talk to your owners when your owners are all residents of the city you play in plus 300,000 shareholders.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:33 AM

As long as they don’t take any advice from Bengals…

• Jonny 5 - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I hear he banned them because Boehner wore a green tie with yellow accents. Obviously he’s a GB fan.

• jwbiii - Jul 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Look at Boehner’s skin color. He’s playing the Browns and the Bengals right down the middle.

• sdelmonte - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Probably because there was that lockout thingee.

Which I wanted to see go on longer, so that baseball would have October to itself at last.

5. Joe - Jul 26, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Lincecum looks like he’s getting ready for his yearbook picture in the second photo. That is, if kids these days wore suits and ties for their yearbook pictures, which they don’t. Yet they won’t get off my damn lawn.

• IdahoMariner - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:06 AM

And comb your damn hair, Timmy! Or buy a brush!
      I don’t care if you grow your hair down to your ass, just take care of it, so we don’t have to look at that straggly mess.

(long exhale.)

Ok, I’m done channeling my mother.

6. halladaysbiceps - Jul 26, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Craig, you’re right. This guy is a freak. He’s a sideshow and a disgrace.

Yo, Brian. Buy a razor and get rid of that garbage on your face.

• paperlions - Jul 26, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Yeah, that beard looks like something a Jew would have had 2000 yrs ago, get with the times, that is sooooooo two millenniums ago….same goes for that mop of Lincecum’s.

7. philsieg - Jul 26, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Timmy always looks like Ray Bolger’s scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz. Brian Wilson, OTOH, just looks unfortunate. He looks like he just escaped from the asylum and rolled a Tory MP for his suit.

• dlevalley - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Right movie, wrong character. Try Margaret Hamilton (wicked witch of the west!):

8. stevejeltzjehricurl - Jul 26, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Wilson looks like he’s auditioning for a post-playing career as an actor playing psycho serial killers in procedural crime dramas.

Every time I see Lincecum, I think of the eighth grade kid in Dazed and Confused who got to hang out with Pink and Wooderson.

• derpdederpdederp - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:27 AM

thats because Tim and Mitch are literally the same person. even their pitching mechanics are similar

• garythebat - Jul 26, 2011 at 6:41 PM

It’d be a cooler if you did.

9. purnellmeagrejr - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Congratulations to all posters (almost all, anyway) for not using a sports board to vent one way or another on the politics. Good work.

10. derpdederpdederp - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:25 AM

afterwards did he jump on the fence and yell at the house?

11. trickybastard - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:48 AM

He is about as fake as gay giant fans that where lame ass panda hats

• Utley's Hair - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:54 AM

—Sigh—

You’re an a$$.

• bigxrob - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:02 AM

You’re being too kind UT

• Utley's Hair - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I know, but why lend credence to the comment with more of a reaction than that?

• bigxrob - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Good point, the trolls are just trying to incite people.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 26, 2011 at 8:29 PM

I am afraid that trickybastard is probably dirtyharry1971 using a different screen name. Unfortunately, the style is much too familiar.

12. Utley's Hair - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Signs, signs, everywhere are signs….

13. dailyrev - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:34 AM

I’m waiting for some photoshop geek to put the stovepipe hat onto Wilson’s head. Would have been perfect.

14. goawaydog - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:40 AM

love this thread … please keep talking about the beard … do not however talk about BW’s 31 saves in 35 opportunities, his 1.83 WHIP or his 45 strike outs … just talk about the beard and the antics off field … don’t talk about him being voted to the All Star team by his peers or his 6-2 win/loss record. the beard is much more important, it’s all about the beard, just the beard, focus on the beard, the beard the beard, you are feeling sleepy, the beard the beard ….

• Utley's Hair - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Nope…not sleepy at all…the beard is creepy—especially with that crap living in there.

But a 6-2 record for a closer? Um…

• goawaydog - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I know, I threw that stat in there to see who would notice … Giants baseball is not normal but it is exciting and a win is a win, so we will take it.

• jkcalhoun - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Bochy has brought Wilson into a tie game 11 times already this year, and 6 of his 8 decisions have come in those games. Just two of the wins are of the “vulture” variety.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Are you seriously concerned about a discussion of the Giants visiting the White House not involving their individual statistics? Again, I say to Giants fans, behave as if you’ve been there before.

I know you don’t like Dodgers, but if you would lend some credence to our experience as world champions, it might help you not blow a gasket through the rest of the season.

And, yes, I am being sarcastic and am ribbing you. But I do it with truth and knowledge.

Giants suck, but I can be okay with their hair.

• goawaydog - Jul 26, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Concerned? no not at all I mean you are right, the Giants suck, we only lead the Dodgers by …. ummmm … 13 games? Then again you are a game and a half ahead of the Padres so that must mean something.

J/K, I would welcome the Dodgers back to being a competative team anytime … 2nd place in the division is waiting for your turn around when your guys are ready.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jul 26, 2011 at 3:58 PM

It’s all good, Dog. “Some of my closest friends are Giants fans….”

15. APBA Guy - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:32 PM

And not one mention of Wilson’s use of the forbidden stripes on stripes. He’ll never succeed now.

16. mrhojorisin - Jul 26, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Nice Five Man Electric Band reference!

• proudlycanadian - Jul 26, 2011 at 3:10 PM

I have to mention that the Five Man Electrical Band was from Canada’s capital city (Ottawa).

17. dogsweat1 - Jul 26, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Charles Manson looks good these days…………

18. derpdederpdederp - Jul 27, 2011 at 1:39 AM

if God was here he’d tell it to your face, “man you’re some kinda freakshow”

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5313)