Michael Cuddyer enhances his trade value

Jul 26, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT

Michael Cuddyer

Michael Cuddyer has been talked about as a potential target for a contender seeking a bat.  Maybe he can be a two-for-one kind of deal now, because last night he showed that he can be an effective reliever too.

Well, effective by comparison to the rest of the Twins’ staff. Unlike the rest of those dudes, he pitched a scoreless inning last night in the Twinkies’ 20-6 loss to the Rangers.

Sure, he gave up a double, a single and a walk to load the bases, but he induced a groundout and a couple of pop flies. Of the six pitchers the Twins used last night, only Phil Dumatrait was more effective, but he’s had years to hone his craft.  And, unlike Cuddyer, Dumatrait didn’t go 1 for 4 with a walk last night.

And check out that form!

1. halladaysbiceps - Jul 26, 2011 at 9:02 AM

This is the guy I want to see the Phillies get, because he can also play 3rd base. But, I hear the Twins will never trade him, so this is a mute point. They may be posturing, but I doubt it.

• crpls - Jul 26, 2011 at 9:11 AM

the point has no sound?

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 26, 2011 at 9:17 AM

???

• kopy - Jul 26, 2011 at 9:19 AM

He means you meant to say “moot point”, not mute.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 26, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Oh, I see. My mistake.

**Moot point, not mute point. It’s still early. My typing is off this morning.

• wonkypenguin - Jul 26, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Or you could go with “moo” point. It’s like a cow’s opinion. It just doesn’t matter.

/Friends’d

• Utley's Hair - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:47 AM

• trevorb06 - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Cuddy can be had though! Don’t the Phills have a mediocre reliever with a few saves? That’ll get the job done and we’ll throw in Kyle Gibson and cash.

2. missthemexpos - Jul 26, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Hell hath no fury like the Texas Rangers shut out in their previous ballgame.

• goldneagles - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:15 PM

There is no team, save the Yankees in the post-season, in whose merciless demolition I find more satisfaction than the Twins’. The world needs regular reminders that this ballclub doesn’t run on wholesome Joe Buck-ian fantasies of grit and chewing tobacco and Mauer’s crisp sideburns. It runs on a roster-full of 1.5-tool players and a manager who would bunt at a swingers’ party. In any division with steadier competition, the Twins would be chronic under-performers. Hell, when their own divisional rivals have good years, the Twins are chronic under-performers.

I hope they lose 40-12 tonight. Then I hope they make a late-season run and bone their draft-pick order. And I hope Joe Mauer makes for a godawful first baseman and I can finally stop hearing about how his 78-year contract is “good for baseball.” Christ, what an irritating ballclub.

• kander013 - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Why the hate towards the Twins? I can’t stand Joe Buck and yes, the “Twins do the little things right,” was nice when it was true in 2002 and maybe 2003-but they haven’t done “the little things” right in a long time. But your right, a roster with two former MVPs is awful.

The Twins are chronic under-performers? I would say that’s true in the post-season, but after winning 6 division titles since 2002 I don’t understand your definition of under-performers is. Hell, they won the division in 2009 when they were 3 back with 4 to play.

You must be a White Sox fan.

• goldneagles - Jul 26, 2011 at 1:33 PM

1. Even if the award had anything to do with anything — spoiler alert, it doesn’t — Morneau was the 2006 MVP like Michael Jordan is a pro golfer.
        2. What I said: the Twins are chronic under-performers against first-tier competition. By the grace of MLB’s divisional structure, they had a powdery downhill into the post-season in the ’00s … where they have been lambs for the slaughter. Six division titles since 2002! And a 2-15 playoff record! How thrilling. I’m so thrilled, I’m mixing skiing and butchery metaphors.
        3. Ah, yes, the storied 2009 campaign, in which the indomitable Twins closed out the season on a four (4)-game tear to match the juggernaut Tigers at EIGHTY-SIX wins. En route to their second of what would become three consecutive ALDS broomings. This, good buddy, is not what I would call “supporting your argument.”

So, yeah, I’m weary of commentators confusing this team for a worthwhile contender. They’ve had more than their share of luck, and I delight in their misfortune. 14-run loses, Twins! #itshappening!!!

3. FC - Jul 26, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Hmm… If the Phillies get him they can move Valdez to the bullpen.

• stevejeltzjehricurl - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:14 AM

He’s got the best ERA on a team whose staff features 2 Cy Young Award winners, 2 LCS MVPs, a World Series MVP, a former NL Comeback Player of the Year, a former AL Comeback Player of the Year, a former NL Rolaids Relief Man of the Year, and something like 19 All-Star appearances. How can you argue with that?

• losburrosinblue - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:33 AM

A while back when Kershaw and Billingsley were hitting pretty well, I looked at the roster and thought – “Wow, they each have a better batting average than 6 guys in the starting lineup…”

4. Charles Gates - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM

The Twinkies have a player with a fair amount of trade value, much of which comes from his ability to play multiple defensive positions, and they put him in to pitch…? I can’t think of (well, I probably could) a worse way to manage your personnel. Any sort of arm injury, which I would imagine is more likely from a player pitching with rusty mechanics at best trying to over throw the ball, coming from this stint (stunt) would be more due to negligence than bad luck.

• goldneagles - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:20 PM

You’re talking about a ballclub that found like 400 plate appearances per season for Nick Punto for SEVEN YEARS, and the best roster management complaint you can dredge up is that Cuddyer pitched an inning?

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet