One game back from DL, Chipper Jones hurt again

Jul 26, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

Baltimore Orioles v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

What a drag it is getting old.

On his first day coming back from knee surgery, Chipper Jones hit a home run. That’s good!

But then he also strained his quadriceps while fielding a ball at third base. That’s bad!

But given that he actually hurt it before the home run and stayed in the game for a while, there’s a sense that, even if he misses a game or two, it’s not that serious. That’s good!

But the sunflower seeds he likes to chew on in the dugout contain potassium benzoate.

[blank stare]

That’s bad.

Oh well, that’s life with Chipper Jones.

1. shaggylocks - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Oh, Chipper. You should have just taken your free frogurt and gotten the hell out of there.

• shaggylocks - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:54 AM

No? You think he should have stuck around after the free frogurt? Gotten the hell out of there after having his choice of free toppings?

2. Brian Murphy - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:24 AM

So, are you saying that Chipper needs to carry around a monkey’s paw and wish for good health?

3. skids003 - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Hang in there Chipper. Your detractors never give up bashing you. I’m glad you are back.

• kellyb9 - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:07 AM

As much as I hate the Braves, I can’t really hate Chipper (although I’ve tried)…. <— Phils fan

• Utley's Hair - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I can—@#%$ing Phightins killers…. But, as I say to my kid, it’s okay to hate the team, but not the player—just question the player’s mental acuity for playing for that godforsaken team.

4. cranbery - Jul 26, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I am so sorry for this Great Guy………….He has been a favorite of mine for years. His talent is tremendous……………as is his Love of the Game!

Hang in there, Chipper……….we love you. The Braves aren’t the Braves without Chipper!!!!

5. seanmk - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:07 AM

nice simpsons reference

• jimbo1949 - Jul 26, 2011 at 2:01 PM

I thought it was Rolling Stones: Mother’s Little Helper.
      What a drag it is getting old
      “Kids are different today,”
      I hear ev’ry mother say
      Mother needs something today to calm her down

6. Paul Zummo - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I know their careers overlapped, but did Cal Ripken and Chipper Jones ever shake hands. If so, did Ripken then have this really bad sensation come over him of all the evil things Jones had done in his life?

• hittfamily - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:37 AM

In the prime of his career, he switched to left field because the Braves lost Ryan Klesko, and signed Vinny Castilla. He looked ridiculous in left. He was a terrible outfielder at first, but worked hard and was fairly proficient in his second year. A future hall of famer in his prime isn’t ever supposed to look foolish on the ball field. He switched back to third when Vinny left. He put the team’s goals above his own, and a fan of the game, I respect the hell out of the guy, and I’m not a Braves fan.

• Paul Zummo - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:04 PM

It was just a reference to Unbreakable. That’s all.

• hittfamily - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I thought it to be a reference to his cheating scandal. A famous rich man in his thirties who has beautiful women throw themselves at him on a daily basis. I’ve never understood how these guys can stray from their wives. :)

• Utley's Hair - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:34 PM

They call me Mr. Glass….

• Utley's Hair - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:39 PM

On this thread, of course, some people could refer to “I see dead people…walking around”

7. dailyrev - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:40 AM

The camera followed him into the dugout after the HR and he looked positively miserable — never seen anyone look so bad after a HR. I actually thought he’d hurt it on the swing — watching his trot I was thinking, “he’s either doing his Babe impression or he’s hurt again.”

But I’m still upset because Brian Wilson didn’t wear a stovepipe hat to the WH yesterday…

8. kinggw - Jul 26, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Chipper should have retired two years ago.

• thefalcon123 - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:18 PM

2009: .264/.388/.430, 2.4 WAR
      2010: .265/.381/.426 3.2 WAR (limited to 95 games)
      2011: .262/.342/.439 1.2 WAR (78 games)

He’s not the MVP caliber stud that he used to be (who is at age 39 [Barry Bonds excluded]), but he’s hardly embarrassing himself out there. Instead, he’s now a solid, but fragil third basemen. A lot of teams have worse.

• hittfamily - Jul 26, 2011 at 1:04 PM

And unlike other aging veteran future hall of fame third baseman, he isn’t making 27 million for the next 6 years.

9. Charles Gates - Jul 26, 2011 at 12:24 PM

I just saw a bear exit from behind a grove of fir.

10. foreverchipper10 - Jul 26, 2011 at 1:06 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

• Utley's Hair - Jul 26, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Considering changing your name?

• foreverchipper10 - Jul 26, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Never!

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline