Jul 26, 2011, 9:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: So much for that. Sabathia got Ichiro swinging for his 12th strikeout to begin the seventh inning, but then Brendan Ryan flared a single into left field for the first hit of the ballgame.
9:05 PM: After play resumed, Sabathia got Greg Halman to pop out to first base (ending his strikeout streak at seven) and Chone Figgins on a groundout to end the inning. He’s now perfect through six. It’s beginning to rain again at Yankee Stadium, though.
9:00 PM: Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that play will resume around 9 p.m. ET. That’s just about…now. Sabathia will continue.
8:54 PM: CC Sabathia hasn’t allowed a baserunner over his first 5 1/3 innings this evening against the weak-hitting Mariners, but a rain delay has interrupted his chance at history.
Sabathia has already notched 11 strikeouts, just two short of his career-high. Incredibly, he has fanned the last seven batters he has faced.
The big left-hander has only thrown 59 pitches so far, so he should have plenty left in the tank if play resumes quickly. Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that the tarp is being dumped out in left field, even though it is still drizzling a bit at Yankee Stadium, so it sounds like he’ll get a chance to finish what he has started.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 77
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 24
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)