Jul 26, 2011, 9:17 PM EST
UPDATE: So much for that. Sabathia got Ichiro swinging for his 12th strikeout to begin the seventh inning, but then Brendan Ryan flared a single into left field for the first hit of the ballgame.
9:05 PM: After play resumed, Sabathia got Greg Halman to pop out to first base (ending his strikeout streak at seven) and Chone Figgins on a groundout to end the inning. He’s now perfect through six. It’s beginning to rain again at Yankee Stadium, though.
9:00 PM: Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that play will resume around 9 p.m. ET. That’s just about…now. Sabathia will continue.
8:54 PM: CC Sabathia hasn’t allowed a baserunner over his first 5 1/3 innings this evening against the weak-hitting Mariners, but a rain delay has interrupted his chance at history.
Sabathia has already notched 11 strikeouts, just two short of his career-high. Incredibly, he has fanned the last seven batters he has faced.
The big left-hander has only thrown 59 pitches so far, so he should have plenty left in the tank if play resumes quickly. Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reports that the tarp is being dumped out in left field, even though it is still drizzling a bit at Yankee Stadium, so it sounds like he’ll get a chance to finish what he has started.
- Report: MLB panel split on Josh Hamilton punishment; one-year suspension is in play 2
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 3
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (72)